Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Pleiades - so beautiful

When out last observing lots of stars and planets in my garden I realised I had spotted the Pleiades...

How utterly breathtaking is that! I couldn't believe how a sparkly smudge to my eyes was so stunning through the binos.

Can't believe how many stars are there !

One day I'll understand the 'science' what an open cluster is, but its very very beautiful.

And yeah I saw mars, venus, jupiter, great big fireball in the sky, orion nebula and managed to star hop around to my heart's content.

Fascinating stuff! I love seeing all these things, now to learn what it is I'm exactly seeing !

Just tried to take some shots of them with my camera. Tripod not steady enough...

but its a great shot if you think about teapots when your drunk :) (Looked far better on the liveview than it does on the screen, so I wont embarrass myself by showing it lol).

They are so so stunning and I can't believe I have never spotted them in the sky until last night.

Glad I have some company in enjoying the Sisters.

I loved my first sighting of the sisters through binos. I was amazed at how many stars were actually in there.

I just bought a book called 'Turn left at Orion' my first night with it tonight and it gives an easy to follow directions of what you can look for with either bins or scopes.

It also manages expections with simpe pictures of what your likely to see with normal amateur equipment. The Pleides gets a 5 star bino rating :) and rightly so.

Hi, I've yet to spot the Pleiades, can't wait! Saw Orion's nebula last night for the first time even though I haven't got the hang of proper focussing cos I can't stop shaking, L-Adaptor hopefully arriving tomorrow.

Regards,

Bill.

The Beehive , M44 is also a great binocular sight, nice.

Yup, +1 to that. Bit harder to find than the Sisters (from here with the bad LP, Cancer is not a naked eye object). I find it by drawing a line between Regulus in Leo and Pollux in Gemini and its about half way along and up a bit (yes, I'm that simple too :D). Give it a go Miranda you'll be chuffed when you find it.

The Pleiades is a great bino object.:D

I never get tired of looking at the Double Star Cluster in Perseus (NGC844/NGC869) with bino's.

Another breathtaker for me.......:headbang:

Can be found in between Perseus and Cassiopia

Wayne

post-18037-13387774339_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a great couple of hours out. I have a 250px dob - wanted to take a look at the moon, Venus and Jupiter. Seeing wasnt great so got out my new Olympus 10 x 50's, sat down with my Sky and Telscope atlas - just star hopped around the sky - great stuff - first half decent pair of binos ive used and no setup time, just need a chair, atlas, red light and a cuppa- brilliant stuff.

Neil

Archived