Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rest In Peace BGO!

Damo636

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a big shame and a huge loss of Japan's optical industry and knowledge base.

I just hope the Chinese can make a replacement

That lives upto the rightly deserved reputation and quality control the BGO have ;)

The Baader GO's give premium performance for an affordable price. If their production has really ceased I reckon they will quickly become regarded as "classics" and sought after.

Let's hope that Baader can replace them with something worthy.

Let's hope so ;)

I have been using my BGO on Mars this evening, the 5mm especially (200x) I wish I had the 6mm as well to go with my 7mm & 9mm

I was using a fringe killer and neodymium filter with the 4" Achro.

They really are excellent eyepieces ;)

I use BAADER orthos, but in an orthos' review I saw ( possibly on Cloudynights ), they didn't come out on top.

Apparently, BRANDON, PENTAX and possibly a couple of other ortho makes, came out better.

I find the BAADERs very good but I've never tried any others.

The Pentax SMC ortho and Zeiss Abbe Ortho has been discontinued for years. They are collectors item now and really hard to find. BGO was the best still in production.

The current Pentax XO are only made in 2 focal lengths

Sad indeed. I am, glad I have the three piece set I need (12.5mm, 9mm and 7mm). I agree with all that's been said, if you can handle the short eye relief and the narrow field they are hard to beat (impossible in my view if you consider the price). I find them more comfortable than plossls as it's easier to see the whole field which I prefer. even an 11mm TV plossl was in my experience 'harder' to use than a 7mm BGO.

I agree with you there Shane. I have an 11mm TV plossl which I use with my PST mainly and it is hard work! Gives good views but needs effort

Stu

it's a shame really as the 11mm focal length really worked well almost always on my 6" f11 at 145x. I now use either the 12.5mm (128x) or 10mm (160x). and NO I don't want to think about an 11mm Nagler ;) ....but then again.......

Seems there are two stories, one that they're discontinued and the other that they'll be available again in mid-April.

I wonder if someone has their wires crossed, or perhaps the Japanese-made ones are effectively discontinued and the ones that may become available in April are Chinese models.

James

The 5mm BGO has less than 4mm eye relief but I still find its performance is that good I can live with nearly stuffing it into my eye socket to see the whole FOV ;)

Perhaps a new design would have BGO optics in a volcano top body ;)

I find it is easier to get the volcano tops closer the the eye because of their shape.

Perhaps a new design would have BGO optics in a volcano top body ;)

I find it is easier to get the volcano tops closer the the eye because of their shape.

A volcano top BGO would be perfect in my opinion ;)

I was waiting on a 12.5mm for a month or so but FLO just couldn't get one. Got an 18mm instead and love it in my 180 Mak.

But still looking...

Has anyone tried these orthos? Lyra Optic - Eyepieces

Cheers

Ian

Not as good as BGO's but very little in it. These are the same as the UO volcano tops and many of the other brands of VT ortho' as the company that makes them in Japan will put any name on them if you order enough

Worth trying as VT's are a bit easier to live with ref eye placement they just seem to fit better

Archived