SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Very Clear Night Tonight!!!!

MaxLux

Thought you might be interested to know that we have an excellent nights viewing in prospect tonight.:) Although this information is principally based on the East Mids area into Lincolnshire, I am sure others may benefit too! We currently have very dry air with +05 degrees air temp and minus 11 dew point and horizontal visibilty around 70km. In laymans terms this means there is very little moisture suspended in the atmosphere. The overnight forecast is for an air temp low of minus 01 degrees with a dew point of between minus 5 and minus 9. So although chilly the celestial dome should be sparkling tonight! Enjoy it whilst you can!!!!:(

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't vouch for the seeing of course but at least moisture in the atmosphere won't be to blame! There is likely to be some high level cirrus cloud/ice crystals starting to appear from about 2.30am (ish):)

I too shall be out again. Not sure how long I'll last, as I got to bed at 5am this morning and got 4 hours kip. However, I have my new toy to try tonight - 314L+ colour :) She is whirring beside me making a library of bad pixel maps and a master bias frame in readiness. Look out universe, here I come!

Sounds amazing, have new scope and mount, would love to be out....hence I have stinking flu!!

My sympathies! Didn't make it out to the Sheffield Astro Soc stargazing night for the same reason. Spent the evening imbibing lemsips and snivelling :-(. Not any better tonight :(.

Reading the forum today looks as if I missed the best night for ages... . And its looking good here for tonight so far. Maybe a couple of hot toddies and I'll be up for some stargazing :)

Clear skies all!

Still some clouds down here in Dorset at 18:36 but will take the bins out and hope for clearing skies. Bad news for all in the Dorset area. My new scope arrives tomorrow so be prepared for 2 weeks of cloud.

Well lets hope not.

By the way Maxlux where do you pock up the detailed forecast of dew points etc and is there somewhere on forum that will enlighten me as to what effect various dew points and temps have on our seeing

It was pretty cloudy this afternoon. Ive just looked out my window and its about 99.999% clear. I'm already settled in for the night with a nice Jameson and coke. I was out lastnight though so i dont feel too bad for skipping tonight.

lukeskywatcher ? you slacking young man ?:(

i like the thought of a jameson and coke, with perhaps the odd peep out the window, just to ease the guilt :)

Well, taking faulksy's advice that the cold kills the 'flu I ventured outside briefly! Tried my new BST explorer 25mm on Orion nebula and TMP II 9mm on Jupiter - very nice indeed!

Cold air now making my lungs hurt and coughing so much I can't keep in focus! Think I'll retire for now until I can breathe steadily again....plus the cloud is building up!

Actually, Lukeskywatcher's Jameson sounds like a really good idea - sure I can persuade Mrs Marki that its medicinal!

Lovely and clear here in Essex, shame it's like Blackpool Illuminations at the moment!

They turn them all off by 11 just as everything hides behind next doors tree's!!

Looks like it could be a beer and Top Gear!

Archived