Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

wakefield area

crashtestdummy

just the one! then we hung around the play gym waiting for all the parents to turn up. what a horrid bit of weather!!! Especially as I had come straight from work with no waterproof :huh:

has anyone done any observing at pugneys? I know its fairly close to wakey and not a particularly ' dark' site - but it does offer extremely good low horizons to the east / south / west and might be good in august for catching a bit of saggitarius? Plus its only 5 minutes away from my horrendously light polluted back yard...

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just the one! then we hung around the play gym waiting for all the parents to turn up. what a horrid bit of weather!!! Especially as I had come straight from work with no waterproof :huh:

has anyone done any observing at pugneys? I know its fairly close to wakey and not a particularly ' dark' site - but it does offer extremely good low horizons to the east / south / west and might be good in august for catching a bit of saggitarius? Plus its only 5 minutes away from my horrendously light polluted back yard...

I would have thought Pugneys would have been really bad for LP as you have Leeds to the north, Wakefield NE, Ossett, Horbury, dewsbury to west and Barnsley, Sheffield to the south.....but maybe worth a try on a clear night ?!

I went there for thw transit of Venus, it was horrid not only was there the LP already mentioned, they have those annoying motion sensor security lights that seem to come on as soon as they go out again. It might not be to bad at the other side of the lake but your horizons will be obscured by the trees and bushs surrounding the bird watching area.

On top of Sandal castle would be brilliant if not for the LP though :D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

If looking at staying local Emley moor mast isn't too bad. But if having to pack kit and drive may as well spend the extra 20 mins or so to goto winscarr. :shocked:

I will email you all some more details but we have a green light for using a room at the school on the 15th

The is a lot to do in only 3 weeks yes, would it be better if we meet as a group a few times to iron out these issues then plan for an inaugural meeting later on maybe September? Darker nights also which would mean a possible better turn out for some viewing as well?

if we are going to do this we have to get it right first time to give new members confidence in our spciety, we haven't announced a meeting date as yet so we wouldn't be letting any one down. What's the feeling?

I'm good with Crash's suggestion. And I think your right Soupy, at least in September we can get some scopes set up for people to get a general idea of what they can see with different scopes, it will also be easier to get an idea of who wants to be on the committee and so forth.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

i think we should continue with the plan to have the meet on the 15th as discussed at the pub it would be a shame to start putting things back when we have just got going

we could have an open evening in september where we could bring our scopes and all our outher bits to let people see whats what ie observing and astrophotography

i for one would not like to see my scope or anyone elses scope knocked over by a member of the public untill i knew there was some kind of insurance in pace which will only happen when the society is up and running the weekly meet at the pub on a monday to discuss the first meeting of the society is a good idea allthough maybe a diffrent pub one which doesnt close at ten

I'm good with a few more meetings to get some foundations set and know exactly what we are going to do? September would give us more time but as dean says we don't really want to lose the impetus we already have but it also doesn't want to be rushed as Soupy says. I don't mind looking into some form of bank account for us and guess that would make me a volunteer for the treasurer?

Once we have an account we could either set this up as standing orders from everyone's personal accounts for regular members, but this needs to be agreed with everyone whether weekly monthly or quarterly?. As soupy has suggested this will fund the insurance through the federation of astronomical societies if this is the route we wish to take?.

I hear what you are saying Dean and I'm with you on not losing any momentum on this however we have to have an open inaugural meeting and as such there will be possibly a few new members. We want to get it right as first impressions last. If we are not fully prepared then the possible long term damage to our PR image will take longer than a postponed couple of months to resolve and no matter how much impetus we have we may never regain a positive image and word of mouth from a few disgruntled unknowns may well destroy any chance we have of ever getting it off the ground again.

The more prepared we are the better chance we will have a successful society from the outset.

Hi guys,

How about this for a suggestion:

Have the meeting in July, but keep it low key. After all, the Federation only need two people there to start the society, and so long as it's theoretically open to others, it doesn't matter if its only you guys.

Then, once up and running from that meeting, with a committee, etc, have an open evening to generate wider interest later (September?), giving us time to think properly about a public meeting.

Does that make sense? Don't mind if you all decide differently - just an idea!

im happy to go with whatever the majority think but i do think a few more informal meeting would be good then everybody gets to know everybody a bit better,ideas get whittled down to what people agree on.i think it saves time in the long run.

on another note i will be picking up a 16" meade lightbridge next weekend and its about 6" taller than i am :D

I suppose we could have the meeting in July as first decided, don't advertise but decide on the initial important stuff, chairman, secretary, treasurer and other committee members. Decide on an outline constitution, subs rate etc. then have another meeting in August to finalise things before opening the meetings up to potential members. I'm happy to still go for the 15th on this basis, that way we can iron out the complexities before we put off any new members! :smiley:

I'm happy to go with the majority, but I do think it would be better in the long run for us to have a solid foundation to build from and I believe that having a couple of meetings before we open the group to the public (officially, obviously if you know someone who is interested bring them along) would do us some good. Not just in getting the official position sorted but also for us to get to know one another better (though from this thread and the meets I've attended I can't see that being an issue).

I unsderstand we're excited about the momentum we've built and not wanting to lose that but as has been mentioned, if we want this to be a successful group we need to tread carefully too and not rush to headstrong into it and end up making bad deciaions. I'm still up for the 15th if that's what everyone else is happy with, that would be an opportune time to at least see who is interested for what position and so forth.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Archived