Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

wakefield area

crashtestdummy

I got out for a couple of hours. ISS again and Saturn but really struggling finding the DSO's with the lighter nights and LP round my garden. Needless to say on that front I totally blanked!!!! Maybe get out tonight if the weather picks up anyone up for a trip to winscarr?

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keiran/Soupy, I've just been researching the satellite we spotted from my notes on thursday night (06/06/13) at 23.06 roughly the same trajectory

as the ISS (SW to E) but nearly half an hour before?

Here it is:-

post-28847-0-88665000-1370778187_thumb.j

It was the ATV-4 Albert Einstein ISS resupply ship so quite a large object and easy spot.

Excellent job Damian. Should have gotten a shot of it.

Nights are now almost impossible to get anything decent due to late sunset and early sunrise and it will only get worse over the next two weeks but after that its gonna improve can't wait :hello2: .

Wont get out this week neither as wife left for America this morning. I'm praying for a change for next weekend. If you get out good luck.

arround mid August is when i will start going out into the wilds again for observing,should start getting longer night by then i.e. dark from 10pm-6am

Yeah think that's a good idea give me chance to do more reading!!

yeah, i noticed that too. I was at a bbq last night at a friends out in the relative sticks near masham and took my binos with me - just before I left at 11.30 i got them out to see if it could pick out m13 or m5 or one of the open clusters near lyra/ophiucus and all i got was a swishy-swashy view against a (still pale blue) background.

viewing/haze was that bad I could hardly make out anything in hercules, even though he has little LP in the area and the stars you could see were blinking like runway lights!!!

Hello Dean nice to hear from you, long time since Emley moor.

I'd have a go a one crash but probably going to buy one first and do all the engineering to make it work.

Been looking at the kriege and berry book and good although I think a few things have moved on since that and I see they half a second book out similar?

Ready for a start though ;-)

I will either do the whole thing myself or just buy a 16" lightbridge second hand tbh.

A 20" borosilicate blank is about £30 more expensive than a 16" one so its not gonna cost much more to make a 20" over a 16" bit i may do an 8" mirror first to get the hang of grinding

It's a bit of a grind but I think after 3 week's you'd be on the second grit and well on your way to looking like Arnie Schwartz I'll bet crash!

On a serious note its a long way to go and I think it would probably take 6 months to grind a 20"! Patience and skill too.

Just viewed a thread casting a light weight honeycomb mirror really interesting that is doing everything yourself.

Archived