Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

wakefield area

crashtestdummy

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys, another "long time no see" greeting! It's been a while, and frustrating with all the work travel and illness I've had.... Only thing I've seen recently is Saturn (though that's always nice!).

First - apologies for a lengthy message...!

Second - I have been busy in other ways. Are people still vaguely interested in formalising the group a little? I asked my friend at work for some advice (he's on the committee of the Leeds Astro Soc). Before I knew it he'd put a message round to his members.... A guy from Yorkshire Astro Soc got back to me - they're based in Pontefract, and invited us over there to chat about stuff (they have an observatory). Someone else suggested we join them instead of setting up ourselves.... But if not they seem to be willing to give advice. The other advice I got was to contact Federation of Astro Socs.

Finally, I asked a neighbour who used to be a local councillor - he suggested we'd have a good chance of getting some dosh from community chest (never knew that actually existed - thought it was just Monopoly!). That could go towards an initial meeting, or hiring a room for a distinct series of meetings, could even buy some equipment in the long run.... (I have a track record of winning grants for work, btw...!)

Anyway, there we are. I don't mind one bit what is done with all this - won't be offended or anything if everyone decides they'd just prefer to keep everything informal as it is now. But I said I'd do some digging so I did. Let me know what you think! Happy to help take it forward or simply forget about it as you all see fit.

Back to the real business - is anyone going to Winscar in the near future (tricky for me to go further but I might be able to)? Desperate to get out again. Am off to Galloway Forest in early August - anyone know how late it'll get dark there??

Enough from me...!

How do Steve, good to hear from you. And good stuff about the astro soc. I have contacted the Fed already and received a handbook on starting up a society so def in for doing all this still, and I know others have expressed an interest. Good news we can get a grant as well, just need to get together one night to plan our first meeting and where we go from there.

On another note I was talking to a chap who came to tune our piano last week and he knows you very well! Small world :smiley:

Good one Soupy! I guessed someone else would have been onto it as well - good stuff getting the guide from the Federation. As I say, happy to muck in sorting things out if others are up for it (even if I can't always get out too much!).

Piano tuner: was that Richard Wilkinson?

Chosing mirror size will be the hardest decision!!i have read a thread on here about a guy grinding a 14" as his first mirror and loving it so i may dive into an 18" in plate glass as they arent that expensive if i balls it up although a pyrex blank is only about £315.will buy a blank then build the base and miror cell then do the mirror so likely wont be finished this year.would aim for spring when virgo is back up and all the galaxies flood the sky :)

You struck gold with Richard - best piano tuner around (does all the northern universities and music colleges), and a thoroughly nice chap too.

Sorry to be a party pooper - maximum community chest grant is £1000. But there's nothing to stop you applying a few times over a few years....

Yep he does seem a very pleasant chap indeed Steve.

rich you could do a few mirrors and build an array all focussing on the same secondary mirror just like the James Webb telescope. That way you could do 4x14 inch mirrors and make a 28 inch apparent primary mirror, would be a lot easier to cart about and have a massive increase in light gathering power! :icon_geek:

Nice to hear from you Steve and hopefully you are now well?

Quite a lot going on here and count me most definitely in as me and soupy have discussed a couple of time's whilst out observing (well cloud dodging!)

Think I've got a source sorted for quality ply and done a few drawings now with dimensions and what I want it to look like crash.If its an 18" you'll be able to test it no prob's as that's what I'm looking at.

The Lukehirst scopes are nice and unlike us he is obviously an experienced builder.I'm sure though I can make something that is just as good aesthetically at least! But it obviously need's to work right too and that may be a bit of trial and error?

will be relying on you for some woodworking skill damian and proably some technical advice too.will have to discuss it a bit further next meet up.if possible i want to do a round base rather than the usual square and i want most to be wood rather than a welded metal mirror cell structure but happy for the mirror points to be metal triangles.looking at an 18" mirror,f4 focal length or maybe upto f4.2,18 point mirror cell and maybe settle for a plate glass mirror blank to start with.have plenty of ideas so far.

No problem's crash

I was looking at the 14" build on here by rustysplit and really nice something well in my skills range and the round base is definitely the way I'm going so much better looking and possibly more stable?

I did think about the wooden mirror cell but also been looking at the 120' triangular metal ones with bearing mirror supports rather than the old and out dated kriege and berry square one with a sling?

Think we'll have quite a bit of catching up to do meanwhile I'm going to get the gear together to make a start!

Yep - Carelton. There's also one in the grounds of Bagshaw Museum, nr Batley - presumably Batley & Spenboro Astro Soc?

I've been out to that. They have an open day once a month and they get speakers in to talk on various topics. Its a great observatory its just not great in terms of dark skies around there.

Sam

Can we get a grant to buy me,i mean the group a nice 22" f3.6 luckhirst dob?

its good job I have a large vehicle so that I can transport that 22" dob about for you / us, isnt it :evil: Plus I have a nice large dry garage to store it in. Things you do for your mates eh?

Hi Sammy! Yes, just the two of us by the looks of it, though maybe others will return with any luck.

So when shall we meet up? Having suggested this, I'm now away loads again in the next month or so(!), but Sunday and Monday evenings are always quite good. Any other offers?

Archived