Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

wakefield area

crashtestdummy

I like "WHAS" - but now I'm wondering if we can get U P at the end to make us "WHASUP" - surely the perfect name for an Astro society

In that case the society would definitely need a medic or a "whasup doc".

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like "WHAS" - but now I'm wondering if we can get U P at the end to make us "WHASUP" - surely the perfect name for an Astro society

In that case the society would need a medic on the board or a "whasup doc"

WHAS sounds like a great name, here are a few others for consideration.

Wakefield and district astro soc WADAS?

district of wakefield astro soc. DOWAS?

Anyone have any more?

like the idea of offering astronomy courses Kieran to raise funds, I could use some of the GCSE stuff I teach the kids, so could do a years worth of short courses on any of the topics we do, eg the Sun, moon, planets, galaxies or cosmology. But we have a wealth of expertise in all of us and I am sure we could all contribute to some exciting courses! Crash doing hunt for the Messiers, Damian and crash doing build your own scope, Paul and Damian with build your own power tank, Kieran and Sammy on astrophotography... The list is endless! I will say however if we are charging for some of these courses we might have to pay a small fee for the use of school facilities but this would be nominal and we would make our bank balance very healthy which would then goto purchasing our own equipment.

a few months ago I spoke to our business manager about possibly building a small observatory at Parker road so we could help to fund this and put a pretty decent telescope in with support from the school? The sky's the limit pardon the pun.

i have a fair bit of modding to do first.need to paint the truss tubes black(diy),flock the bottom and top tube(diy),make some supports so the top is easier to put on the truss tubes one handed(diy),some collimation knobs for the secondary(diy),a dew shield for the truss assembly(buy or diy),some uprated altitude bearings(diy),some extra support for the base(diy),a storage pouch for the dismantled truss tubes(diy),3 dust caps for the top and bottom tubes(diy).

luckily the skies wont be worth much for another month so i have plenty of time :)

Yeah a firm or group of employees can opt out of the 11hour directive so to improve our time off this is what has happened.

Lots of mods to do by the sounds of it I'm going lo start my build next month see how long it take's me?

Archived