SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

jessops Astronomical reflector Telescope 1100-102

dragoumis

Hi, Can anybody help????

I bought the above telescope at Xmas for some father/daughter quality time looking at the stars, a new interest of my six years old but unfortunately we haven't been able to see anything as I am not getting anything at all!And when I say nothing at all I mean NOTHING, all black, no light or images at all.

I THINK IT MY BE SOMETHING TO DO WITH COLLIMATING, and I need serious help with it.

I live in Bourton on the Water (glos.) so if anybody my way wishes to help a beginner, please,please contact me.But do not advise me to go and buy a pair of good binoculars, I've already got the lecture...

Hi

If you are not seeing anything then it is something more than just collimation.

Check sillies like making sure all caps and covers are removed, we've all been there!

Check that your finder scope or red dot finder is aligned properly, best done during the day on a distant object as it is easier to see what's going on. There are normally adjustment screws which allow you to get the finder lined up with the telescope so the both point in exactly the same direction. Make sure you don't point it anywhere near the sun of course, very dangerous.

Once you've checked this, I would set the scope up and point it at either venus or jupiter, the two bright objects clearly visible towards the west in early evening. Get them visible in the finder and use your lowest power eye piece (the one with the biggest number on it). Start with the focus fully in, and wind it out gradually and you should see something hopefully! Once you've got a feel for where the focus is, it is easier next time. Once you can see the objects basically in focus, then start looking into collimation etc.

Hope that is of some help

Good luck

Stu

Can you see down to the mirror by looking down the barrel of the scope ?

No. Make sure dust cap is removed from front of scope.

Yes. Have you taken the dust caps off both ends of the eyepiece?

No. Remove dust caps.

Yes. Have you correctly fitted the eye piece into the focuses.

No. Make sure that you fit the adaptor if you have a 2" focuser. Make sure everything is fully inserted and nice and square.

Yes. Aim the telescope at a bright wall.

Can you see any light? ( don't worry about an image, you can only see things in focus over 1/3rd of a mile away).

No. Try moving your eye around the eyepiece. It's sometimes a bit tricky to get the eye at the right distance and angle. Also, sometimes people close their wrong eye when trying to look through the scope for the first time. It's weird, but that's what happens.

Still can't see any light?

No. Check you are using the largest, less powerful 20mm lens and not the 6mm. The higher mag lenses have such small views that they are often extremely tricky to see.

If you still can't see anything then take it back to the shop. Collimation is final tweaking. If you are not getting an image it is something more serious.

Cotswold AS meet in Shurdington near Cheltenham on the second Saturday of the month. Would be good to see you there. If you bring your scope along I am sure we can sort it out for you. As others have said it is probably just a dust cap still on somewhere.

Archived