NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

hello from sunny south wales

kiffy

hi folks, hello from sunny south wales, well sunny isnt exactly right as its snowing like hell at the moment but im sure if i keep thinking of sun it may come out :D

well i supose id better say a bit about me and why im here.. well im a 41 year old guy and a total newbie to astronmy. its something that has fascinated me for donkies years, i supose since i was a kid so you could say thirty odd years... ive even got things like astronomy photos as wallpaper on my ipad... but the closest ive ever come to looking through a telescope is the sight on an airgun :clouds1:

so why now.. well we have a forum for my village and one of the memebrs has a telescope (no idea what type) and hes posted a few photos he has taken and its really got me thinking that now could be the time to buy a telescope... no idea what type or how much to spend which is why i googled astronomy forum and found stargazerslounge, so now im off to have a nose around the forum and hopefully find some help in wether i start spending money...

thanks

steve

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi helen, dont worry about family friendly.. my blanked out word above wasnt a nasty one.. i run a forum and several websites myself and am a member of the family friendly sites website chain so im a good boy.. honest :D

im from tonyrefail which is kinda between llantrisant and pontypridd if that helps you know where i am

hi helen, dont worry about family friendly.. my blanked out word above wasnt a nasty one.. i run a forum and several websites myself and am a member of the family friendly sites website chain so im a good boy.. honest :clouds1:

im from tonyrefail which is kinda between llantrisant and pontypridd if that helps you know where i am

Hi Steve,

:D

You're not too far west of me then (I'm just north of Ystrad Mynach). There's a Valleys Observing Group which meets about once a month - have a look here South Wales Group - Stargazers Lounge That would be a good way for you to see some scopes in the flesh before deciding what to get :cussing:

Helen

ive used forums for donkies years and ive never joined a forum where ive had this many replies this quick.. thats a realy good sign for the forum

thanks for the tip helen, ill have a look at the groups page now. although as i dont drive it may be difficult.. did try many moons ago but they siad no to a licence so i gave up.. what a stupid thing to do!

ive posted a message on the newbie forum, i had a look round but found most of what i saw a little confusing (see, i said im a total newbie to this) its here: http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/174550-newbie-help-very-much-needed.html#post2142740

thanks again guys, ive posted a message in the nerwbies forum (theres a link a few posts up) explaining what id like... i know the major restraint is budget but i guess that effects us all... id like to do visual and astrophotography although i know nothing about visual yet so im guessing astrophotography is even more to learn, and im guessing more complicated.. after all ive seen comments about 600 second exposures.. do you need to track things your photographing as surely they would move over ten minutes?

Archived