Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The seeing is phenomenal NOW!

DaveGibbons

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was brilliant here in Bristol as Dave Garland has already mentioned. I was out, even before the sun set and the 'scope had cooled, looking at the moon. Even through my borrowed National Geographic reflector I was awestruck !!!

Went back out whilst family were goggleboxing and didn't come back in until the grass went crunchy and I couldn't feel my feet. Have now ordered a pair of snowboots! :)

Most of the time I didn't have a clue what I was looking at, but the words "diamond dust on black velvet cushion" spring to mind.

Awesome, just awesome.

Had a good nights observing in Reading last night.

I went out to look at the Moon, Jupiter and Venus early on in the evening for about an hour and a half then inside to warm up for a couple of hours.

I went back out later on again to find some open clusters I've not seen before in Monoceros, which was interesting given I couldn't see a single star in Monoceros with the naked eye. I know it wasn't the ideal night to be looking for open clusters given the position and brightness of the moon but I was very keen to try out my new 25mm EP. I'm looking forward to returning to them on another night with less light from the moon.

I finished off with Mars around midnight, then finally gave in to the cold again and went inside to defrost my toes.

Having realised it was going to be clear last night I'd booked the morning off today so I could sleep in and stay up as late as I wanted, well worth it.

It sounds like most other people had a good night too.

Next purchase thermal socks!

Tyr

Heres a picture from last night :)

New to astrophotography, but I'm quite pleased with this

M81_010212_small.jpg

20x180sec unmodded Canon 1000D

200P DS on NEQ6

PHD guiding with webcam and ST80

Darks, but no flats (haven't quite got that sussed yet!)

Wayne

So that's what I was looking at! It seemed so much ... fainter. For all the good things they say about the SkyMax 127, it has its limits.

Lovely picture, that one - I'd be pleased.

Very nice capture there.Lovely target.You have pulled out a lot of detail.

Nicely done.

Here on the Yorkshire East Coast its been cloudy every night this week,totally depressing.

Maybe a slight window to-night,but anybody,s guess.

However clear skies to you all.

Mick.

Venus wouldn't look red - it's quite 'white'. Could it have been Scheat?

Quite possibly yes. But it just seemed so very big and glowing, it might well have nothing at all in the sky and just someone's garden on fire ort a car etc

Its just clouded over here! Its been clear skies all day and then as soon as darkness fell!!! cloud everywhere!! Hopefully itll push through soon!

Annoying isn't it? :) If you look on sat24.com there's a load of clouds coming from the west, it might be clear for those down south though.

I've got my scope in the garden just now imaging M81 & M82 just now!:) I might set up the dob too shortly.

Mine is grabbing Ha data on M31 at the moment - showing the moon who's boss! :)

Lovely night for a Friday!

Archived