Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The seeing is phenomenal NOW!

DaveGibbons

I have just been out and the sky is amazingly steady in Southport at the moment. Stunning amounts of detail on Jupiter and the moon. Absolutely catching glimpses of central rille in alpine valley in my 5" refractor! Get off your PC and get out best night for over a year here!

cheers

Dave

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Scope out cooling. Wife to humour, daughter to get to bed!

Might miss Jupiter but hope to catch Mars later on.

Got to see the polar caps again - seemed huge the other night.

Same here. Husband on way home, so get his dinner ready and throw kids to bed and I'm off in the garden!

Actually, I logged on to say just the same thing! Just been looking at the Moon and Jupiter with an x2 barlowed 13mm ep in my 12" LX90 --> 467x ... I don't recall doing that before with crisp images! I am just testing out new eyepieces and was wondering if that had something to do with it lol. The wind is a pain though.

Yes, much better than last night.

Earlier my daughter and I were looking at Venus (no detail of course other than a shadow across it..), Jupiter (spotted a moon in transit unless I'm mistaken..) and the Moon.

Scope still out but now I have dad duties, dishes, etc to sort. Will continue my search for M78 in Orion later. I just can't find it!

Come in for a warm,I can't feel my fingers. Just done 220x with the binos on Jupiter, incredible detail, then it went all fuzzy, realised it had drifted above next doors chimney! Then did the moon at 80x, was breathtaking. Chicken noodles for tea then I'll be back out.

Well, the crispness of Jupiter and 4 moons at 240x, and our moon at the same mag this evening has blown me away totally! It was so still and clear that I wish I had some more mag for Jupiter as it seems like it would have coped with it!

Such a shame Saturn isn't about at the mo

about half eleven last night, I saw a red spot, and my phone app said it may have been mars or V ver. sorry if this is a stupid question but Mars isn't visible to the eye is it?

Its just with Earth Titan saying mars seemed huge last night!

Oh bother. I've got to collect one son from the station in about an hour, then the other son about an hour after that, and then I've got to get enough sleep to be fit to drive from London to Manchester and back tomorrow. So I guess no observing for me...

Sorry to hear the weather has deteriorated for some of you guys up north. Here in Hertfordshire it's still clear and -2.6c outside, but having an obsy helps but even then it was ruddy cold, so I've remoted in from the lounge PC and it's warm and toasty in here :)

Archived