Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First LRGB for the 14 inch ODK.

ollypenrice

Yves' 14 inch Orion Optics ODK, Starlight Xpress H36 and Mesu 2 friction drive are very happy to offer you NGC1333, a most beautiful object to image with its remarkable range of colours. The camera is not happy as yet in Bin 2 so in my version here I've done quite a bit of noise reduction. I dare say we'll come back to it when we are firing on all cylinders. Colour, 2 hours per channel, Luminance 200 mins, all subs of 10 minutes and all in Bin2. (Bin 1 would be working below the limit of the seeing at this focal length of 2.4 metres.)

The Mesu 2 worked like a charm.

This is a joint effort because as well as putting the setup together Yves did some fine work on sorting out the best guiding parameters and all the other technical aspects lying behind the picture.

Olly

NGC1333-LRGB-85HRS-WEB-L.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's okay if you like that sort of thing...

...and I DO! What a stunning image. The depth is just stunning; not just the depth of colour but the depth of field. It almost looks 3D. Surely a POW if SGL is still doing that.

Green??? I got the remark it was to RED strange, I think this object has a delicate balance ... one can say the BG is to blue ...

Me I think it's as good as it gets in regards to color balance, we need more data that's all. (I noticed though that depending on the device you use to look at the picture there is a big difference ... more then any other image)

Yves.

That's really awful - ok I'm just jealous :) It's one of my favourite areas and you've done a wonderful job on the processing too. I like it very much.

It looks like the Mesu and ODK combination is working very well indeed. Olly, I don't suppose you have room for another observatory down there do you...

How do you rate Nebulosity vs Astro Art (which I thought you used)?

In a nutshell I dislike Nebulosity, to be honest! This is not my setup and it needs to be Mac compatible so I'm getting used to it.

I usually capture in Artemis Capture, which I consider the dream capture software and as close to perfect as it gets this side of the grave. I usually guide in AstroArt but PHD talking to Nebulosity for dither is brilliant on the guiding side. Yves did the hard work in terms of sussing out the parameters but now I do indeed Press Here Dummy and watch the round stars roll in. But I prefer Artemis Capture and Atik cameras, personally. Partly that's because I don't learn new software easily being just a tad younger than the last brontosaurus.

Olly

On PHD versus AstroArt if I see how many dialog boxes you need to open en click on buttons ... pfiew PHD is by miles simpler ... also has a lot less parameters.

The capture software, I think they are in the same range of complexity ... although I heard several stories of people forgetting the save option in Artimis ... has that changed yet?

Can you automate capture sessions with Artimis? In Nebulosity you can have a script ... and the dithering is a dream (if the camera is cooperating ;-))

Yves.

Archived