Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First LRGB for the 14 inch ODK.

ollypenrice

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On PHD versus AstroArt if I see how many dialog boxes you need to open en click on buttons ... pfiew PHD is by miles simpler ... also has a lot less parameters.

The capture software, I think they are in the same range of complexity ... although I heard several stories of people forgetting the save option in Artimis ... has that changed yet?

Can you automate capture sessions with Artimis? In Nebulosity you can have a script ... and the dithering is a dream (if the camera is cooperating ;-))

Yves.

Have you seen this?...... Main Sequence Software

Yep, Green with envy if anything. Super pic.

I thouht Artemis has an automated sequence, guiding, and filter wheel control in its newer versions. I still do that manually.

I had some guiding issues recently and I tried PHD. It looked a lot easier than Astro Art, but I couldn't get ASCOM to connect to the mount, so I never used it, but from the tutorial / help file, it looked like something you can justplug and play in secs. You almost need a walkthrough with someone on AA, but it works well once its set up. You can change the settigns on the fly too, which is helpful.

Olly how do you find the change in star shapes then. Are you taken on Diffraction spikes?

Tom.

Yep, Green with envy if anything. Super pic.

Olly how do you find the change in star shapes then. Are you taken on Diffraction spikes?

Tom.

Hi Tom, well you know me and diffraction spikes. I couldn't live with them on a short FL instrument, personally. Too many small square stars. At this long FL they are a fact of life and there are not so many stars per image so I don't mind. I haven't tried selective stellar processing yet on Yves' machine. It is a great scope to work with though, if a bit intimidating!

Olly

They may have been green maybe, there's no other inappropriate green that I can see. I try to avoid terms like stunning or WOW!! because I like to keep them in reserve for special occasions.

WOW!! Stunning!

The thing I like most about this image is the way you have preserved the sense of dynamic range, the golden yellow central region seems to glow appearing as if it is about to burst in into flames. You've brought out the dimmest dust, the brightest stars contrasts and highlights in between without it looking at all flat. A processing masterpiece Olly.

As far as capture software goes, you get familiar with something and after a while it's like putting on a comfy pair of old slippers.

Archived