Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cosmos - Carl Sagan

First of all - I apologise if this is inappropriate or in the wrong forum but just noticed that Carl Sagans Cosmos which is now 30 years old but still highly rated is now avaialable on Amazon - all 5 discs for £5.99

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0027UY8CW/ref=nosim/?tag=hotukdeals-21

''Carl Sagan's masterpiece, probably the most important reason I got interested in astronomy'' Professor Brian Cox.

For anyone like myself new to the hobby you could get a worse grounding when its cloudy outside and the Missus has Celebrity BB on the TV

Once again apologies if it shouldn't be here but thought it might be a cheap help to the beginners like myself out there.

cheers

Steve

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the tip. I have just ordered it.

I remember seeing it when it first came out and I watched every repeat I could. Inspiring !

However, it did not take me into Astronomy then. David Attenborough with Life on Earth, The Living Planet etc took me more into nature and evolution on Earth. But I am belatedly getting an interest in star gazing so I shall be back for help and advice.

A great website; my first post. :)

Steve, get the book as well if you can. I bought the original when the series was first shown but you can pick them up fairly cheap now from second hand book shops, charity shops etc., If you do then you can clear off and read it with a can of beer in the bedroom while the missus is watching dancing on ice.!!

Cheers.:)

Got it for Christmas. 13 hours of Sagan. pretty much the olnly thing that can break my Cox wrongness. Was cosmos the series that had the bit where they showed scale? They zoomed out to something like x10^13 then zoomed in to x10^-13? Still remember that from my youth.

I loved it at the time, everyone did, it was a classic. I tried to watch it a few months back and sadly it looked and felt very dated, some of the info must be wildly out, things have really moved on, no Hubble, Pluto was still in our solar system and Eris had not been discovered, and thats just for a kick off.

The series was remade while ago(maybe for a dvd release?). The original episodes were aired but there was an additional bit added on at the end with Carl Sagan bringing the science up to date at the time of the remake. It was done while he was still alive so still quite a few years ago.

just ordered mine, never got the chance to watch the origininal was working away and never got round to if.had the book though(gave it the grandson years ago)so will look forward to view it for the first time

Archived