Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WOW ! :-o (BST 12mm Explorer)

JimFR

M42. BST Explorer ED 12mm. Baader Neodym.

WOW:D:cool:

the seeing is quite crisp, but that eyepiece RAWKS!!

apologies for the quality of the 'review', but I can't wait til Alan* gets the 8mm's in !

*The rather excellent chap at Sky's the Limit.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have ordered the BST 18mm, hope the clear skies continue so i can try it out

Eh ......... What clear skies !??!

BTW I have the 8 and 5 mm BST and I am very fond of them. They give me 150 and 250 mag respectively . Excellent EPs.

Bart

Its the really good thing about maks with huge focal length`s a large comfortable ep gives magnification similar to using a tiny little 6-8mm peep hole plus you have the barlow option to hit around x300.....if i barlowed a 6.3 plossl in the mak i would have near x900 :)

What is the filter for, what do you see with it that you don't see without?

A neodymium filter blocks some of the light emitted by street lights but allows through most of the light from nebulae. This makes the background sky look darker, hopefully without dimming the nebulae too much so it looks more obvious in the eyepiece. They don't really help with galaxies and the effect is subtle but can make the difference between seeing the smuge or not.

I have the 5, 8, 12, and 18 bsts. The 18 is my favoutite, though the others are nice too. I ever really got on with the 5 though. It's ok, but it never seems to show any more than the 8, except when trying to split some doubles. Thats just with my scope though.

I have the 5, 8, 12, and 18 bsts. The 18 is my favoutite, though the others are nice too. I ever really got on with the 5 though. It's ok, but it never seems to show any more than the 8, except when trying to split some doubles. Thats just with my scope though.

While I don't use BST's, I don't use anything shorter than 7mm in my scopes.

I currently have 3 5mm EP's from Alan at the moment and one of them being the BST explorer. Have done a review of them but basically can only agree with what everyon says . . The BSTs are superb and Alan @ skiesthelimit is a top top man. I'll be ordering me a few more soon.

Gaz

A neodymium filter blocks some of the light emitted by street lights but allows through most of the light from nebulae. This makes the background sky look darker, hopefully without dimming the nebulae too much so it looks more obvious in the eyepiece. They don't really help with galaxies and the effect is subtle but can make the difference between seeing the smuge or not.

What he just said :)

basically, I got it to try and combat the dreaded sodiumII colouration urban skies pick up. I got it for webcam work, it also helps with contrast. with my Philips, I've been able to capture the Jovian Eq belts, and it really helps visually too - the orion nebula is stunning in a good e/p with filter - my next one will probably be a UHC Nebulae one.

ps: averted vision is handy for nebulae - M42 is awsome if you do this: helps your mind with some of the details !

The BST Explorers are great, I recommend getting the whole set when funds allow, now the foundation of my eyepiece kit, you can't get better in my view. The 12mm is brilliant as has already been mentioned, also, I too do not generally use the 5mm, too much magnification for my viewing preferences.

It is hard to come by much info about these BST'S but I like what I am hearing!

I have a newly acquired 8" skyliner dob f6 and I am wondering if these ep's would fit the bill? I have no problem paying £40 for an ep if it is a good bit of kit I am likely to keep for a good few years.

Tony

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Archived