Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi from Exmouth

symbiosis

Hello all

I'm a complete amateur just starting out but with an interest in the stars that goes back many years.

I've just purchased a pair of Celestron Skymaster 15x70 Bins to get me started but my real interest is combining my other hobby (photography) with astronomy, so I can see a telescope purchase coming up in the not too distant future

The skies arnt that great where I live (Exmouth, Devon) so I would be very interested to hear from any other members in the East Devon region to get tips on good viewing locations

Thanks - I look forward to meeting some of you here in the future

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Symbiosis and welcome! I am in Exeter and I'm a member of the Norman Lockyer Observatory in Sidmouth. We are holding a Stargazing Live event on Monday 16th Jan in conjuction with the BBC. Why not come up and have a look. We have a full size planetarium as well as 4 large telescopes in domes. We also have many members who can give first hand advice. On the night we will have a special desk where you can get advice on buying scopes as well as an opportunity to meet members and see the equipment they use. See these links:

Norman Lockyer Observatory

Norman Lockyer Observatory

Hi and welcome to the forum. The binos are a great deal by the the way and will show you plenty. They're probably about the largest binos that you can realistically handles through an evenings viewing, though a tripod probably would help in the longer term. I'm sure you will be using them alot!

Clear skies

James

Welcome to the forum!

Exmouth is pretty dire for LP, isn't it, especially with all those lights along the seafront. I recall an orange sky with a pale moon shining down. You wander up to Orcombe Point in the hope that the skies are a little better, but you have Sandy Bay to contend with. The golf course at Budleigh Salterton may be a little better (can't remember if the course is lit at night).

If you head inland towards the Otterton area, you may be onto a winner.

Thanks for the hello's all and advise. Yes, LP in Exmouth is awful and I agree that Haldon or Otterton are good options.

Thanks specially to mallorcasaint, I had been looking at this event as part of the BBC Stargazing events so I will definitely make the effort now I know a little more

What part of Exmouth do you live? I was on my way to Teignmouth yesterday and whilst passing holden forrest i noticed a very nice clear sky. Its high up and next to no light pollution there :)

You don't want to be up at Halden at night! Trust me. Not unless you are into a very different type of recreation!! :D

Archived