Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Light With New Scope

Yipeeeeeeeee. :icon_scratch::headbang::D

Today I collected a replacement for a faulty Celestron 114lcm - this time a Skywatcher 150P Dob and I must say I'm delighted.

First light less than an hour of getting home, Jupiter looks mighty fine!!!!!

Unlike the Celestron, this one has come with clear skies:hello2::(

Just let it cool down some more whilst I eat, I feel a long night ahead!!

I've just seen M42, not too bright with the current moon, but with averted vision I can clearly make out the shape of the cloud.

Rory, I think I may be modifying my sig. Over ambitious copy and paste.

Ok, a quick review of the scope so far.

This is in a different league to the Celestron 114lcm that I exchanged it for.

Assembly is straight forward, probably took less than 45mins to get everything out of the box and assembled.

Easy enough to carry fully assembled from the lounge to the back garden.

The finder scope was easy to align and was a treat to use compared with the "star pointer" on the Celestron.

The scope really should have had a while to cool down, but excitement got the better of me and I had to have a quick peek at Jupiter. The view was a bit wobbly but there were moments of sharpness that promised to improve when temperatures stabilised. I was able to see four moons clearly.

Time for some food while it cooled. On return to the garden I was horrified to see the very bright moon rising quickly.

I was now able to see Jupiter clearly, very clearly and savoured it for a long while.

I checked Stallarium for a suitable target and decided I'd like to try for Andromeda, I failed. :icon_scratch:

Even with the moon I next took a look at Pleiades and found it easily, crikey it fills a lot of sky.

OK, time to up the anti a bit and head for The Orion Nebula. I found it with ease thanks to "Turn Left at Orion" (what a great book). With the bright moon I'm sure it can look better but with averted vision I was able to easily make out its distinctive shape.

With a quick look at the moon my nights viewing was over. But WOW what a moon the detail reviled in both the 10mm and 25mm EP's far surpassed my expectations.

The quality and performance is beyond fault considering the price and all my reservations about handling such a basic mount have been put to rest.

The finder scope and intuitive nudging beats any button pressing and being a little divorced from the scope.

Hi Tiddles, loved reading your report, the same excitement that I got when I first looked at the night sky through a telescope five years ago. Still get those 'wow' moments as well, everytime I look up at the amazing sky.

Archived