Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Brian Cox 'Stargazing Live'

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was wondering what they can do this year that will be different to last year, but then i got to thinking, even if they do the same stuff as last year that will be fine, because the aim of the programme is to bring awareness of astronomy to the masses.

The influx of new members here last year was amazing* in the days/weeks after the show.

*amazing~~~one of Brian's favourite words.

Well I'm grateful for any airtime given to astronomy so I'm certainly not going to complain about it, but I do feel that the programme makers missed some real opportunities last year. It's hard to tailor a prgramme to suit all needs, from beginners through to experienced astronomers, but I really feel that they could have done worse than take a look at the newbie seciton on this forum to see which questions come up time and again - primarily to do with "what telescope should I buy" type questions. I realise they can't actually promote any particular make of telescope, but they could have clarified the usual questions about which scope is best for which job, which would make a good alrounder etc.

There was one other dissapointing aspect to last year's programme. They put out the call for astro imagers to submit their images to be shown on the programme, but when it came to it, very few were shown.

Having said all this, I did enjoy the programme, and it certainly did create a lot of new interest in the hobby - brilliant. I'm not particularly a fan of Dara O'Brien and Jonathan Ross, but their part in the programme was invaluable in playing "devil's advocate" and made the whole thing less intimidating to beginners.

Let's face it, the BBC are the only channel producing new material on astronomy and they've loyally kept Sky at Night going for ever, so well done to them.

after years of casual interest, i gave way to actually buying a scope right after last years programme. so i am one of the stargazing live children !

my only regret was not researching telescopes more before buying,but hey.

Archived