Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M13 - my first DSLR imaging session

SteveL

Last night, after an appalling 10 days or so of rain and cloud, the skies cleared (and all the rain had taken the haze/dust out of the atmosphere). It was time to test the Canon 350D for the first time. Well, OK, not really the first time, but shooting images across the room to get used to DSLRFocus doesnt count :police:

I`m mightly impressed with this image.

- Taken on an AltAz platform (20 second subs max… 25 second shows star trails)

- Celestron 8 GPS, Canon 350D (unmodded), unguided

- 20 x 20sec subs, ISO1600, dark frame removal in camera

- Stacked with Deep Sky Stacker (Using jpegs, not RAW)

- Tweaked in Photoshop CS (curves, gamma, Noel’s Actions)

m13-20070530-350d-normal.jpg

A few things I learned from last night:

• [li]I need a wedge ASAP to allow me longer subs[/li]
    [li]ISO1600 is a bit grainy, but I needed it because of the 20 second sub limit (before star trails)[/li]
    [li]Keep my flight cases closed, or else the cats get interested and cover everything in fur[/li]

Now compare it with the image below, taken with the same OTA, but using a Meade DSI-C.

m13-20070518-2.png

No contest!

(Remember, this was my first night out with the 350D, and this was also the first object I pointed it at)

WOW from me too! Given I have hte same scope as you maybe I should add my husband's 300D to my armoury! The focusing has always put me off - is DSLRFocus easy to use Steve?

Helen

CW - Beginers POTW maybe, but not in the same league as the other images that have won POTW.

Husher - DSLRFocus is very easy to use. A focus mode that allows you to keep taking images and select a star for DSLRF to "check" for sharpness (or just do it by eye), then a capture mode that you can set up to take X many images at your choice of exposure time and ISO, and how long to wait between images to allow the CCD to cool. It also has an automate option, which will be great for auto creating dark frames of various lengths at the end of the night.

I would have bumped this up to f/20 with the 2x barlow (just to see), but I had no clearance at the back of the OTA for anything extra (had about 1" clearance).

Excellent first go at M13 with the Canon. No star trailing, good focus and colour. Well done.

My first go with the Canon/TAL 100RS combination was also with M13 (last August). It's a great object to start imaging.

I would have bumped this up to f/20 with the 2x barlow (just to see), but I had no clearance at the back of the OTA for anything extra (had about 1" clearance).

You'd have had a dimmer object and field rotation would start to show up at F20. The promised wedge will make a huge difference to your imaging.

Keep up the good work

8)

MD

not in the same league as the other images that have won POTW

Disagree, it's an excellent image mate. 8)

If you can master the focusing (which you have), these DSLR's are a great tool.

Ver well done :police:

Agree with Phil - very enjoyable image. Nice sense of depth and great colours 8)

Thanks

Bill£

I can only echo all the good things that have been said Steve. I am a great glob. fan too, and I could look at them all night long.

Congrats on a nice imaging session, There are lots more to come I'm sure.

Ron. :police:

Well done Steve , that is a very good image indeed mate,Globs arent easy to get right , and you have managed to capture this very well , star seperation is excellent, and the whole image is well balanced,

Super shot ,

But guys and gals ,DO REMEMBER , WE HAVE OUR EVIL EYE ON ALL IMAGES, every one is in with a chance with image of the week ,not just the guys or gals with the best equipment, its all about progression , dedication and the end result that counts ,

well done once again Steve , lovely to see this quality improving

Rog

Count my vote in for POTW, it's not only agreat image but was captured with what many would class as a less advanced set up. As someone else who is new to imaging (my first DSLR image was of the moon) and looking for inspiration for my second attempt, this has gone a long way in showing what results can be obtained. Especially as my set up is almost identical to the one you used to get this beautiful result.

An impressive image all round, especially the colour, which many seem to say is quite difficult to capture using DSLR's.

ElijahB

Archived