NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Stargazing Live 2012

FLO

Last January Brian Cox and Co hosted a series of three live television programs showing real hands-on astronomy. The response was massive!

The attached chart shows the affect it had on our website's visitor numbers. Ant (ADMIN) tells us SGL experienced the same, the forum received a similar surge in new members and beginners seeking advice.

The UK astro retail industry was not prepared, it happened at a time when importer/distributors and retailers normally reduce their stocks. It wasn't easy!

To put it into perspective, FLO is based at a managed business centre that boasts a digital phone system with high speed internet access and 'Cat 6 cabling' (whatever that is!). Essentially the center has its own phone system and businesses hire the number of phones they require. FLO has three phones/numbers, when phone-1 is in use the call is relayed to phone-2, if that is in use it relays to phone-3. If all three are in use it switches to ansafone (you never hear an engaged tone). At the height of the Brian Cox affect the number of messages built up so quickly that it overloaded the system and prevented other businesses accessing their messages! Never happened before, they say. We can only clear messages manually one at a time so because they were arriving faster than we could clear them the phone people disconnected our ansafone system, erased everything, then reinstalled it. We lost 169 messages in 5-mins! That was a bad day :)

This year the BBC are doing the same, running three Stargazing Live programs beginning 16th January. Fortunately we are better prepared this year. In particular we have built up stocks of the most popular beginner telescopes and strengthened our helpdesk. We will try very hard to meet the increased demand and service our core customers.

Apologies in advance if during the Brian Cox affect we take a little longer to respond to enquirys.

Thank-you for your support ;)

Steve, Annette, James, Martin & Lisa.

post-12699-133877713422_thumb.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now you're back from the Christmas break, I just placed my order for two more Pentax XW's and an AZ4. Hopefully I beat the rush? ;)

You know it's good of you to look after your customers like this. Thanks loads :)

I remember ordering my telescope from you in the aftermath of the Brian Cox effect. At least I am prepared this time. If I decide to upgrade at some point i'll make sure it is'nt around mid January.

Best of British:-)

From the sounds of it, the issue of LP will be well highlighted (pun intended) in the new series. Hopefully we should get somemore support from the public when they see what a nuisance it can be.

Archived