Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

OUTGOING!

geppetto

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent image Geppetto !!!!

It has been hazy cloud here all evening. It is still very light also (56 degrees North = bright skies from May to July). I can just see the moon through the haze now.

I am consumed with jealousy - wish I had seen it / imaged this.

Tom

With a location of Cardiff (not 20 miles away from me) Stellarium is telling me that Saturn will come from behind the moon at 2300. How come you guys have already seen it @ 2100? Is it because Stellarium is out, or because of all our varying locations? - Doubt theres much in it though.

With a location of Cardiff (not 20 miles away from me) Stellarium is telling me that Saturn will come from behind the moon at 2300. How come you guys have already seen it @ 2100? Is it because Stellarium is out, or because of all our varying locations? - Doubt theres much in it though.

I missed it because I dozed off and it's mostly cloudy out anyway here in Lancs.

There wouldn't be much difference in the timing of this event around the UK - probably on the order of plus or minus a few minutes.

Have you got daylight savings time set in Stellarium ie. British Summer Time (Universal Time + 1hr)? If you have then it's looking lke Stellarium must not be as accurate as Starry Night or Redshift.

Hi ya,

Can you update the software. Starry Night goes off and brings down new updates everytime it opens...

From what I've read in the past the position of the moon in the sky is actually very hard to accurately predict - the further in the future the harder it is. So if your software was put onto the disc a few years ago (a distinct possibility) then that could be the cause.

Also having a location that is not the same as your will not help.

have you got the Summer time turned on?

Great Pic BTW :police:

Ant

I'm using Stellarium 0.8.2 the latest version available from their site. I regulary re-click my closest location which updates the latitude/longitude values. I have a satnav that tells me the values, so i could actually setup Stellarium to my exact location... Why didnt I think of doing that before (duh!!!)

My money's still on the time not being set to Summer Time - have you checked this? As I said before, the event timing wouldn't vary that much in different UK locations.

I must have c*cked up Stellarium, as I've just uninstalled it and installed a fresh copy and it shows that Saturn would have come out from behind the Moon at 21:15

DOH!!! :police:

Ace Phil, that's a cracker. I got some of it going in that I've yet to look at, and some blank coming out ones. Forecast was for clear, and they were right apart from the clouds in the important bit. I left the camera snapping away so there might be something in there that was taken while I was doing my Hamlet advert impression.

Like the man said, send it off to the mags mate, it's a corker.

Bet there's extra jelly at your's tonight.

Captain Chaos

Archived