NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Lonely Astronomer.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
about 6 or 7 really nice people have left our club in the last year, and they all have several things in common: they have ordinary jobs, are not ex-etonian choirboys, but WERE very enthusiastic members, willing to help the society in whatever way they could.....in exchange for a little help and encouragement in their new hobby. Sadly, both I and they don't cut the cloth, and whilst there are some really nice people at the society, the powers that be seem more interested in backslapping the usuall people. One of the guy's that left, told me that on his first night he approached the top man (let's just call him Lord Vader) and asked him if he had a telescope, to which came the rebuff, 'No, no, no, I dont have any telescopes. It soon became apparent to me that if you came from from shall we say, an established academic background, then you would be invited round to Lord Vader's cottage, with the promise of tea and biscuites, to be followed by an evening's observation through both his takehashi's!!!! I too have tried conversing with vader, only to be met by a wall of whistling. He has made it clear to us, that we don't fit in. Lord vader aside, there is a more serious side to this: I try to be friendly, charitable, helpfull....and in between, try to have a few laughs along the way. As far as life's various ladders go, many of which are occupied by such people as our top man at our club, there is little room for me and my friends. It seems that for some people, a little bit of power can go a long way....usually to the head!!!

Interesting that there is such a similarity to my experience.... Really a shame as I found the talks really interesting, but as a beginner I found there was a huge difference in understanding between members,

At one session I suggested to the Chairman that a short "beginner friendly section" would help me a lot in learning Astronomy. I was "advised" that experienced members would not like that at all

Our society has only been going 10 months, every meeting has been a pleasure, clear skies or not, we all are still finding our way, no member of the Empire has taken over our little Galaxy as yet. :o

Member numbers are around 20 per meeting on average and on good nights we have had over 30, still time for our Rebel Alliance to take over all other astronomy society's :icon_salut:

Observe the night sky....that's what we do :)

everything else seems unimportant once you see the mighty Jupiter through the scope :)

sorry to read its not been the same elsewhere :eek:

If your not in with the top brass who run these groups you quickly lose the group interest,as I did with my local society.

Britain, britain, britain!

sadly, this scenario afflicts many areas of our society....not just astro societies. i have a theory that it's one of the reasons that this country has been left wanting in these and other areas....ie. target driven....with no attention to the problems encountered along the way (such as retaining membership, and attracting new members). an couldn't care less approach that marginalizes ordinary people, leaving the top brass in place to collect all the glory...reminds me of my day's working for the military!!!!!!!

And I am one too. On a quiet night at the EP, I feel like I'm drifting in interstellar space with nothing behind, to the sides, and only the universe in front of me. It's so relaxing, I wonder why I have never fallen asleep. I guess the excitement of my virtual trip to the stars keeps me awake.

Oh, it's so nice to be alone and become one with the universe until my trip is ended by those pesky:clouds1: But there's always another night for my secret, private trips to the stars and beyond:D

i tend to be on my own a lot dont mind but would like a asto buddy any offers

If you promise to be quiet and don't be a back-seat driver....:icon_salut: My astro trips are very important to me...I'll think about it:D

I'm not a lonely astronomer, though there are times when it's just me and the cosmos (okay, I know you lot are out there too but I can't see you from my garden :icon_salut:). In the early hours when it's quiet and still, it can be quite moving and dare I say quite spiritual too.

But, I'm lucky as Mrs Twotter often joins me to share the night sky. I find the target and we take turns at the eyepiece. We've had some memorable nights out under the stars :)

Hi.i have found that since doing astro work people do seem a bit interested because they have got something to look at.They can see the pics of the moon & planets you have taken.I live on my own

& stay up most the night some time.Im proud to show people what i do.I set the gear in the back garden & away i go.Great hobby

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

the night of the 23rd and morning of the 24th, i spent the night on my own up at failand, near bristol, photographing the horsehead and flame nebula. at first i felt a bit low, being on my own...but i cracked how to use my synguider, so i was soon in the groove, and thoroughly enjoyed myself! the stars were superb, and i got my first ic434 image to boot!

Merry xmas everyone!

just me and my daughter ,when she feels like it,now the dsark nights are here and orion as popped back up she as burst in to scope fever,but late on its me and the dogs,they have a basket they share now in the shed with me.clubs are great places but as already said the newcomer,does take time to be part of the group i am also a radio ham

now if you want to meet people who think they are kings get to a radio ham club theres a class and rank there let me tell ya,theres 3 license to radio ham and if you do not have the right one your frowned on so here to all "G" C/S MAY YOU ALL REST IN PEACE

MERRY XMASS

• 4 weeks later...

I am also all alone, just me, myself and I.

I have no idea what I am doing, nobody to bounce ideas off, nobody to say "erm if you do it like this it might work better!"

But hey ho, I enjoy my time out there and am teaching myself, I have learned a lot in a couple of months.

I can find planets and point them out with the naked eye, I know a few star systems and can't point out where a few nebs are (even if i'm not sure of their names).

I have worked out what exposure means and does, what aperture is and is used for. I can roughly use my DSLR (which again is self taught).

I think I have learned a lot in a short space of time, but do miss someone pointing out mistakes, because after all, that is how everyone learns. If you haven't made a mistake then you haven't tried anything!

Shift work is a nightmare!

Archived