SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Lonely Astronomer.

I'm alone in this vast Universe of ours. Well I choose to be. I'm not in an Astronomy club. I don't talk to the wife about my hobby as she says its boring. But hey this forum is my family when it comes to Astronomy.:)

But its my scope, my garden and myself against the Universe.

Are there any other Lonely Astronomers out there?

Message sent :clock:in a bottle.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Sabana,

I guess most of us are when we are in the garden at 2am and SWMBO thinks we are daft!. That of course is, if the sky is clear :-).

It gets more interesting when you meet up with fellow afflictees' and find out what a sociable bunch we are, and how much red wine and beer we consume...

There a re plenty of folk on here now from around Walsall, there must be an observing group. Get on and join it you won't regret it.

Cheers

Been to a couple of club meetings... Probably it is the absence of Beer (Sensible drink-drive laws)! LOL. But you do have to be quite "proactive" to penetrate the post-meeting "huddles"? No fault with the ORGANISERS, but a minor suggestion to rank and file astro-soc members... If you do see a "newbie", go over and say "Hello", maybe? :)

I like the quiet. It moves me to a different place. Occasionally interrupted by strange noises. There is the quite ticking of the neighbours electric fence but thats ok. I know some people like to play music, haven't tried that, but I must admit, I like the quiet.

I know we all sound reasonably sane when we communicate through this forum, we all think we are sane, what we do can't be sane, so I wonder what a bunch of us together would be like! I dont know why, but I am guessing if I went to a get together, I might not go again.....

Bart

Been to a couple of club meetings... Probably it is the absence of Beer (Sensible drink-drive laws)! LOL. But you do have to be quite "proactive" to penetrate the post-meeting "huddles"? No fault with the ORGANISERS, but a minor suggestion to rank and file astro-soc members... If you do see a "newbie", go over and say "Hello", maybe? :)

I too went to about 6 or 7 meetings, but found the experienced members clique unbearable... There was to a distinct inability to communicate to or even acknowledge the existence of a beginner wanting to learn.

Disappointing really as the organiser is a nice chap, very helpful, and willing to share his experience & advice.... shame that it cannot be said about the other members....

That's frustrating, but usually when that happens in groups it's rooted in shyness. If you can break into the group they'll probably turn out to be quite charming. Still, they should be doing a better job of encouraging newcomers.

Just me my scope, the Universe and some tunes :) most nights. Occasionally just enjoy the quiet but tends to be early hours before you can really enjoy in our neighbourhood!

Thought about going to a meet occasionally but not much of a socialite which is why I hang out here lots :). All the stimulation, enthusiasm and banta without leaving the house!

David

I like to do both single and group observation, its great to get other opinions on the subject on view or other equipment but for the more focused nights its hard to beat being out there on my own, is sometimes kind of satisfying to have a singular connection when its just you and the Cosmos :)

I can hear a solo violin playing softly in the background...

Out of interest Sabana have you shown your other half Jupiter and Saturn? That's what tends to get the attention of others pretty quickly.... or the moon right up close!

I too prefer "doing the astronomy stuff" on my own. I stated this before, it is all down to the state of my mind. Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly hugely mindbogglingly big it is. And quite a lonely place for that matter. Closeness, relative to human concept of normal reality, is astoundingly rare. So for me, solitary is kind of appropriate in the context of the universe.

Furthermore, I concentrate better when being on my own, caring for only my business and I often find myself wandering around the strange corners of my imagining when sitting at the eye piece.

Sadly, I guess we all encounter the blank looks when we, to no avail, attempt to communicate the virtues of astronomy to our friends or relatives from time to time. Staying up all night to look at some seemingly random points of light or underwhelming fuzzy blobs is, for your regular folks, something incomprihensible or meaningless. Try and trow in a bit of astrophysics, dumb-down quantum mechanics, relativity or cosmology and people run away from you like you have some contagious skin condition. Well, I might be exagerrating this, but I hope you can see my hope.

So when I am out, doing my astro stuff, I am of lonesome kind.

I too went to about 6 or 7 meetings, but found the experienced members clique unbearable... There was to a distinct inability to communicate to or even acknowledge the existence of a beginner wanting to learn.

Disappointing really as the organiser is a nice chap, very helpful, and willing to share his experience & advice.... shame that it cannot be said about the other members....

I joined my local astro group some years ago....and i'm as lonely as ever!!! and get this....especially on a clear night at the group obsy...hardly anyone bothers!!! But there are some genuily decent peops there, but invariably, they too are on the fringes! we call ourselves the rebel alliance lol, but sadly, like the attack on the evil death star, our numbers are few and ever dwindling!

Archived