SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Lonely Astronomer.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've yet to indulge in group gazing, but wouldn't mind some company sometimes. I could certainly use the advice of more experienced observers :). It's nice on your own though, probably get more done without distractions. Her indoors isn't adverse to a squint through the ep when I've got something 'spec-tack-lier' centered, but she's a right old wimp when it comes to being out in the cold. :)

I joined my local astro group some years ago....and i'm as lonely as ever!!! and get this....especially on a clear night at the group obsy...hardly anyone bothers!!! But there are some genuily decent peops there, but invariably, they too are on the fringes! we call ourselves the rebel alliance lol, but sadly, like the attack on the evil death star, our numbers are few and ever dwindling!

I am with you on that one, but it is a shame that it is only the minority that want to genuinely help beginners.

I think the majority forget that they were once blundering amateurs that didn't have a clue where to start.

I always have some means of personal protection on me when I am out observing (not a condome):)

I pity the fool that messes with me while i am out observing with my dog Chara. She is a 4 yr old Yorkie that honestly would fight for me and die for me. She is like my shadow..............where i go............she goes.

She really is all i need to feel safe/alert.

I dont really like being alone in the middle of the empty field, miles away from nearest houses.:)

And since nobody shares my passion of freezing to death (sometimes until early morning ours) i have to adapt to loneliness.:)

But i have to admit, only while alone with stars i can trully focus on observations and photography.

My missus actually came out a couple of nights ago and had a look through my binoculars. I felt quite hopeful at her "oohs and arrrs" but 10 minutes later she swiftly retreated to the house stating that it was too cold. Oh well another night alone.....lol

I seem to be on my own more often now. The scope was for my son for his birthday and at first he was really enthusiastic as was my wife and daughter. What with the lack of clear nights lately and me working evenings with my job, when it is clear I seem to be the only one who wants to brave the cold!! Hopefully over xmas if we get some clear night's I can tempt them out.

I am with you on that one, but it is a shame that it is only the minority that want to genuinely help beginners.

I think the majority forget that they were once blundering amateurs that didn't have a clue where to start.

about 6 or 7 really nice people have left our club in the last year, and they all have several things in common: they have ordinary jobs, are not ex-etonian choirboys, but WERE very enthusiastic members, willing to help the society in whatever way they could.....in exchange for a little help and encouragement in their new hobby. Sadly, both I and they don't cut the cloth, and whilst there are some really nice people at the society, the powers that be seem more interested in backslapping the usuall people. One of the guy's that left, told me that on his first night he approached the top man (let's just call him Lord Vader) and asked him if he had a telescope, to which came the rebuff, 'No, no, no, I dont have any telescopes. It soon became apparent to me that if you came from from shall we say, an established academic background, then you would be invited round to Lord Vader's cottage, with the promise of tea and biscuites, to be followed by an evening's observation through both his takehashi's!!!! I too have tried conversing with vader, only to be met by a wall of whistling. He has made it clear to us, that we don't fit in. Lord vader aside, there is a more serious side to this: I try to be friendly, charitable, helpfull....and in between, try to have a few laughs along the way. As far as life's various ladders go, many of which are occupied by such people as our top man at our club, there is little room for me and my friends. It seems that for some people, a little bit of power can go a long way....usually to the head!!!

I tend to observe on my own, my OH will come and spend a few mins with me occasionally. I also get the blank looks and general mocking for looking at specs of light, you can see my friends eyes glaze over the minute I mention something. It would be nice to have some other company occasionally but that’s just the nature of stargazing. I went and checked out my local astronomy group and had a mixed experience. They were nice enough people when we got speaking but it was very much me being the instigator in all conversation. I don’t know if that’s age difference (they were in their 60’s and I’m 29...probably too young and keen). Also for an astronomy observing group they didn’t do much actual observing either collectively or individually. For instance when setting up the club’s scope for evening viewing I was the only person who seemingly knew the names of various stars, constellations etc to align the scope with. I didn’t really know how I felt when I got back home and haven’t been back since.

I guess I kind of am, until the kids grow up a bit I can't really pull any all nighters, and it's not that the wife is uninterested(she has done a couple of astronomy courses and was the one who encouraged me and bought my first scope) it's more that she just doesn't have the time.

A club is an interesting prospect but at the moment but I can't commit to that and I'm not sure if there are any English speaking ones in Belgium, if not there should be as there a loads of English speakers.

As someone else said, it's just me and the hedgehogs and the neighbours spying on me. Creepy.

It's sad to hear of so many lonely astronomers out there.

There are many societies that are indeed less than friendly.

I have found that many are indifferent as to whether you join or not.

Funnily enough I've often noticed a sudden change in their attitude when I mention I could bring a 16" scope to their viewing nights.

These types of people I avoid.

Much rather observe with the genuine people I have met since joining this site.

Regards Steve

It's sad to hear of so many lonely astronomers out there.

There are many societies that are indeed less than friendly.

I have found that many are indifferent as to whether you join or not.

Funnily enough I've often noticed a sudden change in their attitude when I mention I could bring a 16" scope to their viewing nights.

These types of people I avoid.

Much rather observe with the genuine people I have met since joining this site.

Regards Steve

Shame that is the way things are with astro groups. Still, there's the opportunity to attend the forum astro meets that happen.

I am also a lone astronomer - after being surrounded by people all day, it's a wonderful way to unwind. Especially when I get some rare, clear nights...

Not really a joiner of groups and very much a learner and might feel a bit thick at an astronomy group. Forums with lots of advice for beginners suit me. My local one meets on an evening I am working so I could not go. Quite happy to be by myself. I must try some tunes some time though.

I know exactly where you are coming from :icon_salut:

A while ago, when I first started out, I wrote this little ditty as a tongue in cheek description of some of the dilemmas we face as astronomers.

The Torn Astronomer

A tale I feel I have to tell,

It may well make you weep,

About a problem faced by man,

Whilst others are asleep.

Our man is an “Astronomer”,

Or so he tells his friends,

He likes to gaze up at the stars,

But that’s not where it ends.

For his life is rarely simple,

When a starry night appears.

And an evening at the eyepiece,