NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter Processing Challenge!

Space Cowboy

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tried my usual stuff, not sure i like my effort, the smoother one looks best i think ( bottom ) the top is sharper but more affected.

The reason i rotated was because it affects texture during sharpening. Two slightly different techs tried, Dyadic on one, linear waves on the other, different sliders used on both. Its interesting to see others ideas. I like Episkeys natural nice detail, though its red heavy for sure.

6496896123_ab96580bcc_o.png

6496899399_dafd65d478_o.png

Hey there Freddy and Neil, no-one said anything about upscaling the image.....keep it clean!!!:):)

Here's a "quick & dirty" from me Stuart - some nice data you caught there: I like to look at detail like the subtleties you've caught in the GRS and plenty of other areas, which is why I process the way I do: straight-laced as is my preference, and next with a bit of extra saturation for those who like just a dash of this ingredient:).....personally I'm not really into the more saturated stuff, and even though I'm a pro artist by trade I tend to think using more than a dash of saturation borders a little too much towards the painterly as opposed to an actual image.....though I'd better watch out what I say there lest someone says something!:)

post-16205-13387770497_thumb.jpg

post-16205-133877704974_thumb.jpg

Lol D, i upscaled for processing just lost track of the size.

You know theres detail in colour. enhancing it using saturation or contrast or whatever, can often show a lot more detail. But yes it will also be more affected.

pros and cons. its just taste i think. No right or wong way. Nice and white, but subdued and bright here. he he

Either my screen is really WAY too bright or the white clouds look way overbright on those Darryl. I belive its my naff screen.What are others seeing here? The same could be said for deepsky. But colours are often very saturated, by almost everyone. And accepted much more. why i have no idea

I have no idea what others' screens may show Neil (apart from what my partner's pc screen will show if I go and look at it after posting an image).....but I need to keep my screen well calibrated for work useage via color munki.....mind you, I do see a lot of images which are pretty dark on my screens: the standard greyscale etc calibrators will only take you so far.....I'm now running 2 screens (both DVI, via a DVI splitter cable) with one a widescreen HDMI and another "standard" 17" screen to get a better comparative handle.....but trying to second-guess anyone else's screenview - let alone their eyes' perception - would be a mug's game..!:):)

Wow! Great response guys! Some very nice versions there! Neil's version is closest to the ones I did which is quite reassuring for myself lol:

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-planetary/165327-jupiter-grs-nov-27th-very-good-seeing.html

Nowt wrong with upscaling! Thanks for your kind comments fellas this was a dream capture for me.

Just for fun I thought I'd see what IRIS could do with this.

jupiter.bmp

process:

1. 2x scale

2. wavelet

3. RGB split

4. R+G+wavelet => L

5. LRGB combination

6. last little play with wavelet.

7. 0.5x scale.

nice raw data.

Derek

Archived