Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Clear skies but poor seeing

John

The skies are pretty clear here tonight (North Somerset) but the seeing conditions seem very poor to me. Last night with the same equipment I was getting good details of Jupiter's GRS and the adjacent pale patch, and 6 bands showing on the disk. Tonight it's a rather fuzzy disk with two rather ill-defined bands :)

Maybe there is better to come later though .....

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

same here, no clouds but the seeing is awful. after 45 mins cooldown time the scope is covered in a thick layer of dew..and when i walked over the shop i could see the mist by the street light.

Have left my scope in the consevatory just incase it gets better.

hope it gets better by you too:)

Yeah last night was excellent for me as well, good transparency and seeing was steady. The Temperate belts were obvious and also the polar regions showed detail which is not something I see often with my scopes.

I was planning on heading out into the garden shortly but I wont get my hopes up then :)

Same in Oxfordshire, decided to take my scope out of the village for the first time to a darker location. Ended up in a nebula of my own. Thick from the ground up to about 40ft. above that clear skies. Really frustrated, waited for an hour but it just got worse so have come home, Ironic thing is the village is clear of fog but full of light!

One of my mates rang me (on his way back from the pub) at 2 o'clock last night to tell me how clear was and was I out? As I was in bed, (working today) I won't repeat my answer! Had the hump on 2 accounts, being woken up and it looked like it was really clear out of my bedroom window!

I've had a pretty good session - intermittent cloud earlier - with great view of Jupiter up to about 70x. Above that I could see the image boiling around the disc. It's been wet all night, but the mist has arrived and the earlier transparency's gone too now.

Very clear here in south lincolnshire. Imanaged a nice view of Jupiter but then my Goto kept turning off and re-setting. The scope was covered in dew so I'm hoping this was the problem. Has anyone else had this...I do hope its dew and not a hardware issue :)(

Up near Nottingham tonight, there is some cloud around but also some nice clear patches.

Just got my grab and go WO66 and giro mount with me. Some nice views of jupiter but not too much detail to be had.

Nice low power views of m45 and the double cluster in the 17t4

Orion is peeking into view now so will hang on and have a look at m42

Stu

Clearing up a bit at the zenith now, like others, I'm waiting for Orion to pop over the neighbours rooftops, m42 was one of the first messiers I found, looking forward to seeing it again.

Yep, same problem here in Bristol too. Air is very damp and taking on a very distinctive reddish hue, and the zenith looks like a deep purple to me. Very gutting, as yesterday I had never seen so much detail between the two main belts, and finally got to see Jupiter at 200x for first time in months! :)

Glad to hear I'm not alone. It seemed quite good for an hour or so after it got dark, but then within the past hour it was as if someone turned on a fog machine... the sky whitened up and then turned orange...

Equipment totally dewed up, with water dripping off the OTA :)

Managed to capture some vid of Jupiter, so have called it a night, shut the Obs up for the night and have come in the warm to do some processing.

Clearing up a bit at the zenith now, like others, I'm waiting for Orion to pop over the neighbours rooftops, m42 was one of the first messiers I found, looking forward to seeing it again.

Me and my big mouth, came in for a cuppa for half hour, back out and nothing but fog....

Archived