Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which Telescope looks the Best in your Conservatory?

I don't know. For me a Refractor just looks right. I think the term is aesthetically pleasing. Whilst others look a bit geeky or garganturan..

Probably a White Refractor like a Skywatcher 120 ED on a GEM. Or a Tal 125 RM

What would your vote go for?

NB: You don't need a Conservatory. Just imagine one :)

I don't know. For me a Refractor just looks right. I think the term is aesthetically pleasing. Whilst others look a bit geeky or garganturan..

Probably a White Refractor like a Skywatcher 120 ED on a GEM. Or a Tal 125 RM

What would your vote go for?

NB: You don't need a Conservatory. Just imagine one ;)

If you had a Tal 125 in your conservatory, you could charge an entrance fee for a look, as there has been lots of interest, over the years, in these seemingly rare scopes. Don't think that there are many about , here in the UK.

I know I'd like one.

:)

Andy

Yep, a Brass scope/ refractor on wooden tripod.

It's what they have in the movies whether they are in the Hollywood hills looking down on L.A, Or in the penthouse flat in New York people watching.

The late great Dudley Moore had one in John Houston's "10" I think?

Tal 125 or 100rs could fit the bill too.

I'm with white 'fracs too. The Vixen ones look great. EQ mounts are a bit "cluttered", so for display I'd say a very basic alt-az with no protruding slow-motion controls, on a nice-looking tripod. (When you actually want to use it, you take it off the display mount and put it on your "real" one.)

The brass telescopes look like decorations (even though there are a few around that have decent optics) to me, I prefer something that looks like it's a proper scientific instrument.

In my conservatory I used to have this.....

:) Y'know, I've taken to the habit of leaving the laptop laying around with pics like these open in the top tab so that my missus will say, "You're not getting a telescope that size, you can forget it!"

Of course, I reassure her say, "No, no my dear, it won't be as big as that," knowing full well that if she'd not seen the huge scope *any* scope would've looked that big to her ;)

Aesthetically (as the post says "looks" best) it has to be a classic brass refractor :)

Let's face it, a 20" Dob just looks ugly in comparison! ;)

Gotta disagree with ya there.

A well made wooden truss tube Dob is no way ugly. If the wood is of sufficiently good quality and the workmanship skilfull it can be a thing of great beauty.

More beautiful in fact than a hunk of brass with glass at either end.

I prefer the natural beauty of wood to brass any day.

Regards Steve

To me, the scope that is in "moi Conservatoire" is the best looking. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the look of my scope is what first caught my attention.

Some old geezer in a book once said, "Want what you've got". I do and it keeps me happy.

Bill

Archived