Greetings from Milton Keynes

dwc

Finally overcoming my phobia of posting in "new" forums :)

I'm based in Milton Keynes, not a great place for astronomy due to the light pollution, though the more experienced local astronomers still manage to produce some excellent images. I'm additionally hampered by having a small garden with a street lamp at one corner.

I started with a pair of binoculars about 5 years ago, then acquired a Celestron XLT 150 newtonian, and then a 2nd hand Meade LX90 8" Classic. Since then I also have a Meade ETX-60 Backpack model, great for those brief gaps in the cloud or for taking away when I don't have time or room for the LX90.

I've dabbled with webcam imaging, starting with a Trust WB5400 that I converted for the purpose, and recently a modded SPC880, though I haven't had much opportunity to use that yet. I'm also experimenting with a Canon 350D.

I also enjoy the theoretical side of astronomy, very keen to learn about what it is I am observing, and often attend lectures locally, in Cambridge, and events like AstroFest. I spent a day down at the Herstmonceux festival in September, and may well look at the whole weekend next year. Have done a few Open University and Jodrell Bank courses, though I'm afraid my maths abilities lag somewhat behind my enthusiasm!

I find that there is always something new to learn, and the maxim "the more I learn the less I know" is very applicable :evil6: I look forward to learning a lot from the members of SGL, and perhaps also helping others to not make the (many) mistakes I have already made :)

Dave

Milton Keynes Astronomical Society

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived