Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Recommendations for Tent heating

spaceboy

Hi All

My first star party is looming close and the recent cold nights are raising some concerns to how I'm going to manage with out a lecky hook up or any other form of warmth should the going get tough.

Our local camping store have parabolic heaters that are fed from small butane canisters. I'm aware the canisters last around 6 hrs but I see it as becoming expensive keep buying those little cans not to mention it's not the most environmentally way of doing it. They also have heaters that can run of 4.5ltr bottles which allows for more duration and can be re-filled but these cost an absolute fortune.

There are portable heaters that people use in offices and garages that run off standard Calor gas bottles which I considered an alternative but these are huge and not really practical for camping. The reason for my question is dose anyone know if there is a camping size heater that and run off the smaller Calor gas bottles ??? or if a parabolic camping heater can be converted in any way??

Any ideas welcomed :p

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be more worried about being warm at the scope than warm in the tent. At the scope you'll be more exposed and can cool quickly. In the tent you can get into a warm sleeping bag and all is well. Just make sure you have a couple of good ground mats so you don't loose heat into the ground.

I know there are times when it's nice to get somewhere warm, but doesn't the star party not provide any sort of warm indoor areas?

It doesn't seem that cold right now, though. Where's the star party?

That sounds like a very good plan. Only downside (or upside?) is that if it's cloudy it might mean drinking until 4........messy :-)

Stu

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

how have you changed your username?

spaceboy, the best way to keep warm is with a proper fishing sleeping bag, they start at about £35 google trakker big snooze, nash frostbite, jrc and TF gear, and try not to bed down on the floor, a hot water bottle will make a huge difference and if your partner is with you go for a couple of duvets and snuggle up:D

I use two big oil filed rads. They are designed to be used for extended peroids and are very safe. They dont get hot enough to burn urself on. We leave them on all night

How do you get them hot if as the Op states he will have no access to electricity ?

I thought you were going with your wife mate? Job done, but PLEASE keep it down :p

I have camped in March in about -5 degrees in a normal tent and with a double quilt and sleeping bag plus tracksuit bottoms and a t shirt I was toasty. put some foam mats under the airbed and this stops most of the cold. I have a heater but would not use it when asleep in the tent for love nor money - the oil filled ones sound good if you have power though.

I'd be dubious about any heaters in a tent tbh. Hot water bottles would be good, along with layers of bedding.

If i take anything away from all the survival documentaries i watch though, it's very important to get off the ground as much as possible, it will be much colder than the air around you in the tent. So lay down some foam, maybe a duvet, THEN make your bed ontop of that at the very least. If you can squeeze some kind of sun-lounger type assembly in there to raise you a few inches, all the better.

Psychobilly's suggestion of the 'Bluecat Heater' is a really good one as I have one of these and have found them to be effective. Its relatively small and light, great at getting the tent warm pretty quickly and if you use it for that purpose the gas will last. The big one to remember is Umadog's point regarding the ground mats. You can buy some cheap ones now that have a silvered side to reflect the cold. Don't think that an air bed will do the same as your body heat will never be able to resolve the cold floor which turns the air in the bed into a fridge which will suck every last bit of heat your body can muster - we've all made that mistake.

James

Was feeling a bit of an odd one out using my real name so made up something silly and asked admin to change it for me.

Stu

welcome to sgl bigmaksutov:D

here is a pic of the type of bedchair we c a r p anglers use

post-21509-133877666678_thumb.jpg

Thank you sir, nice to be here ;-)

Now that looks very comfy. I shall be on my £19.99 Lidl (or Aldi, can't remember) folding camp bed which creaks worryingly at times but hasn't collapsed yet..... Famous last words... :-)

Stu

It's been about -9 or so when I've camped at Kielder. When I'm outside I wear good walking books with really thick socks, thermals, 2 fleeces, big down coat and paramo trousers, warm hat and gloves. In the tent I have a thermarest with a folded over quilt on top, a sleeping bag and another quilt ontop of that. I generally wear 2 warm layers and my hat in the sleeping bag. Normally stay warm enough but it's a sod getting out at night for the loo!

Thank you sir, nice to be here ;-)

Now that looks very comfy. I shall be on my £19.99 Lidl (or Aldi, can't remember) folding camp bed which creaks worryingly at times but hasn't collapsed yet..... Famous last words... :-)

Stu

Igot three nights on mine before it broke. The extra seven quid for the Argos one is well worth it.

Archived