Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Recommendations for Tent heating

spaceboy

Hi,

On the subject of heating in a tent, please beware of the very sad story in The Daily Mail today.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2140326/Shropshire-campsite-death-Girl-14-killed-tent-barbecue-fumes.html

The best advice I can give those who want to cook and have a heater in a tent is to think again about the tragic circumstances that can occur from such actions.

This unfortunately, is not the first occurrence in 2012.

I feel sorry for the rest of the young girl's family as they recover in hospital, they will be devastated when they learn that their young daughter is dead.

Maybe campsites need to issue guidelines on safe camping practices.

Adrian

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had seen this on the news last night. It is tragic what has happened and I'm sure all our hearts go out to them during this terrible time.

I am wondering whether it was one of those disposable BBQ with the charcoal? I also noticed from the pictures that none of the tent vents were pitched open. I was under the impression these have to be open at all times anyway ???. There are many people new to camping that had no idea of the dangers of using things like this to heat their tents. My interest in heating the tent was only ever intended to take the chill out of the air while getting changed from one set of clothes to another particularly after getting out of a warm cosy sleeping bag in to the freezing cold of the morning. I can understand how someone thinking as they are outdoors that such a thing would never happen but my thought had always been if a tent is able to stop water from coming in there is a possibility it also stops air and this is why it is important to keep the vents open and under no circumstance leave any heater electric or gas on while sleeping. It's no wonder such things happen when you think that half the time tents don't even come with instructions how to erect them. There should be some sort of mandatory warning label stitched or printed on tents to stop things like this happening. Although I'm sure if you are that cold you would ever consider leaving something burning in your tent over night I'm sure most would ignore the warnings anyway.

Hi,

A spokesperson for the campsite was reported as saying on Radio 5 this afternoon, that a disposable BBQ with the charcoal was found at the tent entrance.

It would be interesting to known what instructions if any were printed on the packaging of the disposable tray.

I have just come back from my garage where I have two disposable BBQ with charcoal trays. Amazingly, there is no usage warnings on either tray. The instructions state that they can be used for leisure and camping!!!

I think we bought in Lidl (?)last summer for a trip to Scotland

When I am next in Lidl I will check other BBQ trays.

So if there are no warnings then people purchasing them may not be aware of the dangers in using them in confined spaces.

Adrian

i got one of these(not at that price tho, only £100)

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/shop/camping-equipment/sleeping-bags/new-un-issued-genuine-u-s-army-489904.html

keeps you toasty even outside, doesn't get damp in the tent at night and if you spring a tent leak in this drought we are having you dont get wet:)

and as for fire in tents, think top gear in caravans and how the awning went up.... then DONT DO IT...

• 1 month later...

I put a camping mat on top of an airbed and then a picnic blanket ontop of that, 4/5 season bag, thermal vest, pants and socks.

Do not use any form of gas heater inside a tent, CO2 is heavier than air and fills up the tent from the bottom up, it is odourless

youll become uncousious befroe you know it. A teenage girl died a few weeks ago as her parents put a BBQ inside the tent.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

I agree with Pete's recommendations above, as a member of the Camping and Caravan Club, I follow their advice:

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/helpandadvice/camping-safety/

There are ways of keeping warm, wear thermal type clothes, eat well, plenty of hot drinks, invite friends who shower regularly to your tent. Their bodyheat will take the chill off your tent!!

I use a Gelert camping bed, it keeps you off the ground and you can use the space underneath for storage, giving you more space in the tent.

I put a camping foam mat, a thermarest and picnic rug on the bed and I have a 5-Season Down sleeping bag.

http://www.gelert.com/products/superlight_camp_bed

You can get one for about £30....

Under no circumstances would I try to heat my tent with gas cylinders.... they are deadly.

Remember, sadly a number of people have died tragically while trying to heat their tents in the last few months.

Cheers

Adrian

Be very wary and conscious of the carbon monoxide issue, its only a month or so ago a young girl died from carbon monoxide poising from a used throwaway barbecue kit, which was not fully extinguished when they settles down for the night its a silent killer. Hot water bottle and a good sleeping bag.

• 1 month later...

Hiya, as a pants astronomer but ace camper, I find a sigg bottle full of hot water to pre-warm your sleeping bag and keep your feet warm is amazing and cheap :) Also, don't put all your clothes on in your bag as you're trying to trap warm air in the bag and not in your clothes - sounds backwards but it works for me.

Good luck keeping toasty!

Archived