Hello

Perthshirelass

I'm new to the Lounge and to Astronomy....hard to believe I know....but I've actually decided to "stand and stare" up!..and what a view.....so I'm busy reading up on beginners entry books....joined our local Society...EAS Kendal....scanning websites etc... and collecting as much info as I can. I have purchased skymaster 15/70 binos and last night was the first non cloudy sky since they arrived on my doorstep and well I can tell you it was amazing....you probably heard me whooping from your place....gosh "why havent I done this before"...better late than never ..... as they say....dash... cloudy prospects for the weekend...but it gives me time for my new tripod and titron ball head to arrive...oh and the steel adapter! (why did Celestron bother with that silly plastic one?)...so its binos for now.....watch this space cos it wont be long before I go Telescope shopping!! Where to start? Its a mine field out there....so many options....if you are new and reading this and want to become a "rover hugger"...I can lead you to a brilliant blog I know and you will NOT be disappointed...:(.(incase you are wondering why I'm logged on at 13:02 during the day...I fell down a hill on wet grass and broke my ankle on my first trip out to hunt for NLC!..no I'm not accident prone...rubbish just happens..)....so takecare all of you and wrap up warm:)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Well you've made a good start getting the binos but a shame about the weather. As part of your research don't forget to look out for any observing groups in your area to join as well as they also have observing nights for people to come along and to look through some telescopes. All the statistics, specifications and terminology won't necessarily mean anything until you start looking through some gear first as it is only by doing this will you be in a position to establish your own datum point of what you need to satisfy your expectations. Getting up close to some of this kit is also useful as some of is fairly large, heavy and will take time to set and cool down before use. If you do find a scope during these observations that ticks all of your boxes, don't forget to make a note of the eyepiece that you are looking through as that can make quite a difference to the viewing experience.

Clear skies and hope you find a scope soon!

James

Good choice with the bins. I always enjoy using mine despite having a number of scopes to choose from. It may not be possible to see as much, but the simplicity and easy with which you can jump about the sky is a pleasure in itself.

James

Archived