Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC 281 - with new Skywatcher Quattro 10" CF

Tim

Having recently taken delivery of my first carbon fibre telescope, I was anxious to try it out on a proper clear night. Last night there were plenty of challenges, gusty winds, amazingly bright full moon, and odd patches of clouds, but at least it was mostly clear.

This is 4hrs 45mins of NGC281, the Pacman Nebula via 7nm Ha filter, with subs ranging from 15 mins to 35 mins. At the end of the session I couldn't resist swinging around to check how the focus was doing, as the temperature had dropped a good few degrees over the course of the night. To my delight the focus was as tight at the end of the session as it was at the start! I think I am going to enjoy this carbon fibre business :(

OTA: Quattro F4 10" CF

Camera: SXVF H9 mono

Baader 7nm Ha filter

Total exposure time: 4hr 45min

Thanks for looking.

Tim

tj-albums-quattro-pictures-picture13400-ngc281-quattro-ha-4hr45min-sep2011.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fantastic image TJ. The stars look free from distortions even in the corners - which is great.

Clearly the wind didn't hamper you too much then :( and at least the full moon won't affect you imaging in Ha.

Looks great - 35 minute subs as well - lovely.

The quattro is a keeper then?

Ant

I think so Ant. With the amount of clear nights we get it will take a few months to really put it through its paces, but I am pleased with this result so far, it was really tricky last night, had to keep sliding my obs roof back as the mount turned, to give maximum shelter. A few subs had double stars from the wind.

Yes, Baader MPCC at 55mm. Not easy to get the spacing. There is another option, the RCC1, I have reviewed this and the review will be available shortly.

The only thing with the focuser is that you cant use a self centring adapter with the MPCC which I am used to, and if you aren't careful the stars go off round because the camera is tilted off axis.

Wow!

What a beauty!

No doubt that the Quattro is a keeper, sky Watcher is producing some excelent optics these days.

That's the thing with carbon fiber otas, no material contraction / expansion with temperature changes, crucial when you're at f/4, on my alu. ota (Altair astro 8" f/4) when there's a big deferencial on temperature as the night goes on, I must refocus at the midlle of the session :(

Congrats on the image and on the purchase!

Cheers,

Thanks for the nice comments, I just posted a colour version with some older colour data too.

Mike, a SCA holds a camera rigidly in the focuser and dead central to the tube, you dont use thumbscrews to clamp it in place, so there is no play or room for error in the attachment. Genius bit of kit :(

Thanks for the nice comments, I just posted a colour version with some older colour data too.

Mike, a SCA holds a camera rigidly in the focuser and dead central to the tube, you dont use thumbscrews to clamp it in place, so there is no play or room for error in the attachment. Genius bit of kit :(

Thanks Tim,

That makes sense. Sounds like the ultimate collimation accessory :)

All the best,

Mike

Well, you've answered a few questions with that one, Tim. Blistering detail in the dustlane, the bit I always call the earwig!

I'm afraid I can't remember what chip size you use? How big is it, again?

But whatever it is, you've made the Quattro sing.

Olly

Archived