NASA Research Project Intern

NASA GSFC Intern

Hello everyone!

My name is Anthony, and I'm a college intern at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center for the Fall 2011 semester. I'm working on a research project involving a twin telescope design riding a weather balloon up to about 130,000 feet and capturing images in the Far-IR. If you'd like to learn more, here's a link:

SPIE Newsroom :: Experimental twin telescope enables new scientific studies

Right now, we're still in the early stages of the project, having started work in January of 2011, and looking for a launch some time in 2015/2016. What I've been working on is using a Meade LDX 75 along with various electronic components to develop software for the telescope to actively track celestial objects in real time, in equatorial mode.

I've played with an old telescope back home, but am pretty new to this caliber of stargazing. I'll be posting in the cameras section, as we need help with adapters to get a Imagingsource DMK 41 to be able to focus while attached to the LXD 75.

Any help I could get here would be fantastic. I still have so much to learn, but am enjoying every minute. This seems like a great and active community, so I look forward to having some fun conversations.

tl;dr I'm an intern at NASA and need help! :)

-Anthony

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the lounge, I have enough trouble imaging on the relatively stable surface of the earth, god knows how you would even start trying to image whilst dangling from a balloon in the upper atmosphere! Will be following your project with great interest, good luck I think your gonna need it! Lol

Wow, thank you everyone for the warm welcome, this is certainly looking like a great community already! Thank you for the internship congratulations. This project is going to be tough, but I'm looking forward to the challenge. The stabilization issue is pretty daunting. I'm not sure how they have planned to combat the pendulum motion, but apparently we have that figured out. The actual pointing while flying will be up to the Attitude control system. We just decided on some of the motors and wheel material, so it's exciting to sit in on meetings where we have conversations like this. Everyone here uses big words :)

Feel free to ask me about the project, and I'll try and do my best to answer your questions.

Archived