Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Weather prediction: bad for weeks and weeks

jonathan

not had a clear night here in about 2 weeks...

I just bought my first goodies too...

Been using the stock 10&25mm EPs that came with the scope til now.. (it never came with a barlow)

So just bought myself a skywatcher 2x barlow which right away gives me a 5&12.5mm from my original EPs, and also in the week I saw a 3mm EP at a bootsale, no brand etc on it so know nothing about it, but only paid £3 for it so even if its pants it dont matter too much i'll just bin it, but it might be a half decent one and for that price it was well worth a punt!!!

Just need to opportunity to give em a try now!!!

Baader SteelTrack focuser for SCT

Hi Jonathan,

Sorry to go slightly off topic, however how have you found the SteelTrack on the 8SE? I have an 8SE myself, and would welcome some views on improving the focusing on it!

Saying that though, is suspect my focusing issues result mainly from the immense wobbling effect that the portable tripod that comes with the 8SE causes.

cs,

- Jason

- Jason

Hi Jonathan,

Sorry to go slightly off topic, however how have you found the SteelTrack on the 8SE? I have an 8SE myself, and would welcome some views on improving the focusing on it!

Saying that though, is suspect my focusing issues result mainly from the immense wobbling effect that the portable tripod that comes with the 8SE causes.

cs,

- Jason

- Jason

Same here, so I've gone double-wammy and replaced both! :)

I'm sure the SteelTrack will improve focusing ability but touching the focuser knob will still cause the vibrations. We will see - I'll try it on my 8SE on the Celestron mount and let you know. Won't have them until next week and with the hurricane hitting us then it may be a few days before I can get out.

Woah! Just unpacked and assembled the EQ6 indoors... what a beast! Either I'm going to grow some muscles or end up hospitalised... this mount makes my 8SE look small. I can see myself upgrading to a larger SCT at some stage just to do the mount justice.

Looking at the 8SE Celestron Goto mount I'm not sure if it will be possible to balance it with the SteelTrack attached along with the 2" diagonal and 38mm eyepiece, they all weigh a substantial amount each. EQ6 will handle them no bother though.

Woah! Just unpacked and assembled the EQ6 indoors... what a beast! Either I'm going to grow some muscles or end up hospitalised...

It's no lightweight, is it?

I reckon almost anyone who doesn't already have a permanent pier or obsy who buys a NEQ6 must end up considering one or the other very shortly afterwards.

James

It's no lightweight, is it?

I reckon almost anyone who doesn't already have a permanent pier or obsy who buys a NEQ6 must end up considering one or the other very shortly afterwards.

James

What exactly is a pier then? I have a permanent position for it with paving slabs but I still have to carry the thing from indoors to outdoors.

It is pretty clear here but windy, think I'll give it a miss as even if the mount isn't affected by the wind I'm sure my eyes will be, been terrible the past couple of days with all the dust flying about. Besides, still pretty bright with that moon up.

What exactly is a pier then?

Usually, a steel or concrete post fixed into the ground for the mount to be installed on. Often with some sort of cover to allow the mount to be left in place when not in use. Obviously it's far more rigid than a tripod.

James

First night out with the NEQ6 was a success - mostly because I didn't drop anything and it all appeared to be working, except for the polar alignment which I failed to accomplish, but I think I really need to do that part during daylight without the OTA and weights attached.

The SteelTrack focuser was really nice, very precise, and it could just be my imagination but due to the feather touch required probably reduced vibrations (yet to try it on the original Celestron Goto mount to confirm this). There were still some very slight vibrations to be seen on the NEQ6 when I touched the OTA but they went almost immediately.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried the SteelTrack attached to my 8SE on the Celestron Goto mount, similar vibration problems as I remembered from using the normal focuser knob, although the lighter touch required and the finer focusing ability is a good improvement.

I would say it's probably not worth the money on it's own if you are going to still use it on the original Celestron 8SE mount, as the vibrations would still frustrate. Combined with some anti-vibration pads, however, might just make it more worth while as I hear they reduce vibrations by quite a lot.

I don't know which model of EQ or Alt-Az mount would start to be an improvement over the Celestron mount in terms of vibration times, to get a Goto as well may end up costing a few hundred.

I'll probably give my ST80 a whirl on the Celestron mount to see how well it handles that.

Archived