NGC7331 and Stephan's Quintet.

ollypenrice

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Olly, the details are fantastic! I had a question, what software is this graph from?

tak-lodestar-L.jpg

I'm not familiar with this software. It looks like your tracking was perfect.

Thanks!

The graph is from AstroArt 4.0 with the central circle representing one pixel, the second two, etc. The horizontal graphs for RA and Dec are, likewise, a pixel up and a pixel down. The guide scope has a focal length of 400mm and the pixel size is 8.2uM x 8.4uM.

Before the flip RA was slightly better but Dec slightly worse, though still below the imaging scope pixel scale. I feel the mount still has too much Dec backlash though we reduced it with a simple shim. Thanks to Maurice Toet and Pieter Vandevelde for helping look into this.

Olly

So you see a galaxy and it looks nice. Ok, then you see the little barred spiral fellow at the bottom and it looks really impressive. Then your eyes 'get in' and slowly more galaxies appear, three then five then ten...

The whole image is full of them!

All beautifully captured and processed. Well done, Olly!

The Quintet is clearly visible to folks with good eyes in our half metre Newt. I can see it with my old age eyes because I know what to look for. Some people struggle, some don't. You never can tell.

Edouard Stephan discovered it in Marseilles, 100 Km to our south. A nice historical touch...

Olly

...Otherwise that ickle barred spiral at the bottom will just be sat on the edge, it's nicer with some room around it.

I hadn't even noticed that one! There are just too many.

I think that's where the wonder in the image lies. Most images on here are of something. This image has a vast number of objects, and doesn't really have a subject. The "something" in this image is sheer, awesome scale. I guess that's why Olly says this image will never be an eye-grabber, but that probably has as much to do with Olly's modesty as anything else.

Archived