Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC7331 and Stephan's Quintet.

ollypenrice

Last year I posted a fairly dreadful version of this! So for the last couple of nights I let the OSC chunter away unattended on the entirely reformed Tak mount (carryng TEC140) and busied myself at the other mount with something more fiddlesome. When a mount sits there all night and gives a guide trace like this you are laughing. Not a bad hit to be seen. :)

tak-lodestar-L.jpg

Anyway, 8 hours' data later, plus last year's, so 12 in all, gave me this. For an image that's never going to be an eye grabber I did spend a long time on a careful process though. Three combined stretches, etc. (Core of 7331/Star layer/Main image.) Check out the cute little barred spiral at the bottom.

Olly

NGC7331-STEPHAN4S-QUINTET-X2.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy poop batman!!!! That's a corker of an image!

Sooo, many faint galaxies, stars pin sharp, this is fitting for APOD :(

Edit to add: left and bottom side are a tad darker on my monitor, showing a bit of a line which might be crop-able :)

Holy poop batman!!!! That's a corker of an image!

Sooo, many faint galaxies, stars pin sharp, this is fitting for APOD :(

Edit to add: left and bottom side are a tad darker on my monitor, showing a bit of a line which might be crop-able :)

Thanks, you are right. A careless crop on my part. It shall be dealt with most severely!!

Olly

SmugMug seems to black clip my images so here's one reset to allow for it. COmment invited.

On SGL I prefer the first one. On the French site, which has a pale blue background, the second one looks better. Very odd.

Olly

NGC7331-STEPHAN4S-QUINTET-X2.jpg

Awesome picture, for some reason everytime I look it my eye is drawn to the little spiral at the bottom and not the primary target.. but maybe I'm just weird :)

Not at all. A guy down the road has an RC with 9 metres of focal legth and a metre of aperture. Maybe I need to go down there with a bottle of wine...

Olly

Archived