newbie star gazer :-)

tomlines

Hi all,

My name is Tom, a newbie to the astronomy world

I've recently purchased a sky-watcher 130p synscan az go to telescope

I'm basically looking in to what i should be able to see with this scope, is it good?

With it i got a 25 mm wide angle eye piece, a 10mm and a 2x barlow lense and have recently ordered a modified phillips 'astrocam' but wont be delving in to astro photography just yet.

Iv had some spectaculer views of the moon and a distant view of saturn,

this ia basically an open question, is my scope good? and what should i be able to see and what extra's could i buy to improve it eg higher mag eye pieces etc

thanks for readin and any advice is appreciated

hope you are all well

:-)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Tom and welcome to SGL. :D

The 130P is a very nice entry level scope which should give pleasing views of planets, moon, and many of the brighter dso's (M42, M31, M45 etc).

To get a bit more magnification it's common to use a barlow which doubles the power of the eyepiece. The Tal 2x is a good budget barlow but the supplied eyepieces aren't the best so you may just be magnifying their inadequacies.

If you join a local astro soc or observing group you may be able to borrow a couple of "better quality" eyepieces to learn what you'd like to get to improve things - eyepieces are a personal preference thing :p

Thanks for the warm welcome guys

I already have a delux sky watcher barlow x2

Would a 3x make a big difference to the size of say....saturn?

I'm not near the theoretical limit so would viewing still ne clear and crisp?

Welcome aboard Tom. Just experiment with your Barlow- take a look at Saturn with 25 plus Barlow and with 10 plus Barlow and see how it looks.Because of the distance involved Saturn never looks big in a scope- you just need to optimise size against sharpness. See if you can spot any of its moons. Jupiter will be much more impressive.

I'm very much looking forward to Jupiter

What sort of mag would you recommend for Jupiter?

I'll be using a webcam soon, iv been advised this will be the equivilent of a 6mm eye piece, is this correct?

Hi Tom and welcome to the lounge am sure you will have fun with that scope and its a good start point eps is another subject but with what you have should let you see lots of great stuff

clear skies always

pat

Hi Tom, welcome to SGL.

The 130P is a very nice starter scope and you should be able to see a great many interesting things with it.

You will probably need to use your barlow with the webcam, other wise the focusser won't go 'in' enough.

Archived