Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

the best night ever

what a night crystal clear skies stars that shone so bright finally found the andromeda galaxy breathtaking from 2am till 4am the time just went so quickly saw no fewer that three yes three shooting stars even saw saturn very briefly it was a night to remember the first thing i spotted was a really bright star which turned out to be vega but what a sight it looked very big and bright sort of shimmering silver with glimses of blue crystal clear then altair just as sharp and just as breathtaking at around 2 45 am locked onto andromeda truly awsome seemed to look at that for hours by this time i was just star hopping and finding the most incredible things star clusters all around what can i say i could go on and on and bore you all rigid but i wont A GREAT NIGHT I'LL NEVER EVER FORGET jimmythemoonlight :):hello2:;):blob7::D

Yes, it was a beautiful night, more comfortable than being indoors!

I only managed a 5 minute (literally) peek at Delta Cygni and got a very easy split of this difficult double with my Lomo 6" Maksutov...could have stayed out all night!

Well done and glad you had such a great night!

Dave

Last night was the first time this year I was out in a t-shirt. I like the summer and prefer a sky that isn't quite dark to one that is aglow with orange light pollution from the area. Just a shame it doesn't get dark enough until about 23:30. I had a busy day yesterday so only lasted until 01:00am. Would have liked to get another hour or so. The high light for me was the blinking planetary nebula. I also looked at a few doubles, M29 and just scanned Cygnus with my bins.

I got the sun lounger out and peered through my bins for 30-40 mins. The sky was the best I had seen it for a while and I was surprised to see so many stars at zenith even though the sky could still be considered light. Unfortunately the thought of having to get up of the sun lounger and start running up and down the flat stairs at 23.30 to set up meant I didn't make the best of a good opportunity. I admire your enthusiasm Jimmy and I am glad to hear you had such a memorable night.

SPACEBOY

After a weekend of traveling and celebrating (Mate's wedding) I was just too tired to wait past midnight to get some good dark skies so I missed out last night. Of course this was the first clear night home since I got my scope.

I did do the preliminary steps for polar aligning to get used to it thoug so not all wasted.

I swear the skies near me have got even more light polluted since I bought my scope. At the start of the month I tried some basic widefield shots with my DSLR and while not stunning I could at least identify some constellations. Last night at about 11:44 p.m. I couldn't even see the plough!

Tremendous night for me too. First time with all the gear for the new scope on a clear night.

Hot as hot can be, t shirt and shorts at 2.00 AM. Saw the milky way from the garden, not a cloud in the sky.

Managed to see Saturn, then lots of messing around trying to get Goto alignment sorting before dew stopped play on the secondary. I now have a nice red dew shield on the top and a nice red shroud over the open tube.

My wife is missing a thin red yoga mat now too, schhh

Bloomin cloudy tonight tho!

I agree with Twotter - why do Clear nights often occur on Sunday.

Is there some going on here we don't know about!!!

Anyway glad you had an exciting night -it's a good feeling.

isnt it great when you get a good nights viewing like that? Makes it all worth while! Thanks for giving me the feel of your enthusiasm it really helps me to get my act together and get out there myself!

It was exceptionally clear here too. Surprising, as I live near a large city. I even managed to find M22 & M25, plus (I think) Neptune. Neptune appears as a small faint blue disk through my Skywatcher, and was in the correct vicinity (I didnt set up - just a quick 'put telescope on mount and go' kind of evening)

Archived