Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New William Optics GT-81 Triplet Refractor

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody liked the Skywatcher 'Black Diamond' livery when it first arrived, people said it looked too 'bling'. Then we started received emails from customers asking us to promise that it would be a black diamond telescope, today I doubt we could sell anything in the original colours :hello2:

I like it. In my experience W.O. stuff is always nicer 'in the flesh', than in pics.

The handle's a great idea. Should keep the tube free from paw prints. Looks like the handle has allen headed cap screws which mean it'll be easy to take off, to let rings be fitted.

Exceptional price for a triplet. Can't wait to hear what the views are like.

Andy.

No foot or scope rings..how does it mount?

It does have a regular photo-tripod thread in the bottom, otherwise you will need 90mm tube-rings.

We should receive our first delivery of GT-81 telescopes early next week :hello2:

And therein lies the problem, they are touted as a "Limited Edition", some internet reports suggesting a total of 81 units only.

Gary

I read that as well on the Facebook page, well if thats true - the Matching flattener/reducer is going to be Limited Edition as well, FLO's got my order for this as well :)...

Time will tell....

Nadeem..

Not seen an image of the flattener?

I doubt the scopes limited... if its very successful why would they limit it?

Not the Taiwanese/Chinese way at all....

Hope you plan to have quite a few units I can see this selling like hotcakes!!!!

They are!

We thought we would be cautious and order only a small handful to test the waters but they have already pre-sold. We have ordered more for delivery in 10-12 days.

And therein lies the problem, they are touted as a "Limited Edition", some internet reports suggesting a total of 81 units only.

Gary

I think we can translate 'limited edition' as 'the first batch has nearly sold out'. Our understanding is that a second batch will be commisioned but it will sell at a higher price. WO are keen that this new triplet gets plenty of attention so they have priced the first batch low. We are expecting a price rise around September.

WO tell us they have already sold over half their stock in less than two weeks! This will sound like a sales cliche but if you already know you will be buying a William Optics GT81 I strongly recommend you place an order now.

Alternatively, if you click on Notify me when this item is available you will recieve an automated email as soon as we have spare stock but I have a feeling demand will outstrip supply for at least two months.

HTH

Steve :)

Could it be that the "Red" one is a limited edition and future versions will be in another colour? :) Remember the FLT98 special edition in white and blue.

I have to admit one in "FLO Orange" would look a lot better than the red. :(

John

I think so too :)

Have just heard again from WO, the focal reducer will be available from late-August.

Then you can reserve one for me Steve, let me know much & send the payment over.

Nadeem.

If you wanna piggyback a guide scope, the handle will have to come off. I assume it'll come off. That'll take much of the gawdy look away and return it to the current 80DDG appearance.

I bought my 80DDG to look through with a DSLR/CCD and the two free light sensors in my face, not to just look at and drool. But I do. I bought the 80DDG as the "new" ED80 had increased by £100. The saving bought me a WO 2"diag and RDF. That's value. And you get great focusser with LCD read out! Super scope.

Mine arrived today, and first impressions are favourable, apart from the weather that is.

Plan of the moment is to trial it side by side with my C/F tubed ED102. I figure that the ED102CF and TV reducer will be close to the native GT-81 focal length, and so it will be the M25C in the GT-81, and the H-16 in the ED102, dual imaging. Well that's the plan.

Back on the scope though it looks nice, very nuggety/heavy for it's size, but nice. If and when the weather clears I'll crack an image or two and post.

Keep on Steve's back, they look like they will be a winner. I might add that mine didn't come from Steve though, but then again we couldn't be further apart geographically.

Gary

Archived