NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New William Optics GT-81 Triplet Refractor

Just realised, I'd seen the M25C described as full-frame, which to my mind means 35mm but actually meaning full frame APSC - so in these recent comparisons, the results are pretty much interchangeable between the AT2FF and the TV red/FF.

Got a response from WO on their planned dedicated one - cannot tell me any details or exactly when.... it makes one wonder, if it is worth their while doing a dedicated one for a 'limited edition' or whether it is likely they will rebadge someone else's.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chris

The M25C is an APS sensor as you have now worked out.

In my case, and another that I know of here, the TRF2008 is quirky in that the advertised "55mm" doesn't really give a flat image, far from it. The testing we did shows a decent image is obtained at about 50mm, and to this end using a DSLR and T ring and the ensuing 55mm gives rubbish images. Try it and see.

Gary

WO have just announced a new flattener, designed for their f6 80mm scopes. It is on Ian King's website. The price is only £135. It would work with the GT81 but it makes me wonder if WO will now bring out a dedicated one just for the GT81, given the low volume. I think the answer is going to be the TRF2008.

Well, I went to the horse's mouth. There is a new dedicated flattener planned:

Dear Sir.

Two weeks ago we started well new WO FlatIII.

FlatIII works with small aperture telescopes such 70, 72, 80 and others.

It also will work with GT81, but results will be not as good as you would use it with M72/80.

Approximately in 2 months we will have specially made flattener for GT81 – in January or February.

You can try to use new FlatIII at this moment and later purchase Flat for GT81.

Best regards,

Tim

WO

Well, I went to the horse's mouth. There is a new dedicated flattener planned

Chris, if you see our opening post HERE we mentioned the optically-matched focal reducer. It has also been mentioned in a number of other threads here on SGL.

Like you, we don't have actual specification, only an ETA. We are cautious quoting ETAs as they often slip, sometimes by several months. One thing has become clear, the reducer will only be available in limited quantitys, like the telescope. We will do our best to ensure everybody who bought a GT-81 from FLO will have an opportunity to buy one of the reducers.

HTH,

Steve

I think the point was that there will be two new flatteners, the replacement for the mk lll and one for the GT81. Another respected dealer thought they might be one and the same. Unless the back focus is less than my H18/SX filter wheel, put me on the waiting list!

Kind regards Chris

Archived