Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New William Optics GT-81 Triplet Refractor

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which reminds me ;)

There has been a resurgence of interest in the William Optics FLT-110 triplet refractor. Thank-you Olly :)

The FLT-110 is a well respected apochromatic refractor with a TMB designed triplet objective that has received a number of small but significant updates, the most recent being a modified lens cell with 'safety ball bearings' designed to prevent pinched optics at low temperatures and the new upgraded DDG focuser.

We also have in stock the William Optics FLT-98 with it's superb air-spaced triplet objective from G Strakov, a leading Russian designer.

And of course the unassuming but hugely popular William Optics Megrez-72.

All in stock for overnight delivery.

Nowt wrong we red!!!!!! Guy

Mike

Will upset the feng shui in my obs :)

At least its not Ferrari Red or that G*d awful eagle flag, nowt wrong with ours cousins flag but its wrapping it around a telescope I cant get my head around.. That is unless you use it at NASCAR events ;)

C'mon guys, you have all got yours right?

Mine has been here a few days now, but the weather has been abysmal, really poor, squally showers, with snow down country.

I saw a gap in the showers just on dark about an hour ago, so ripped the gear out, and shot a frame.

At the moment, the GT-81 is sitting n the mount, side by side the ED102CF, and with the SXVR-25c installed (the SXVR-H16 is in the ED102CF).

So while the scope hardly qualifies as a lunar/planetary scope, and the camera sure as eggs doesn't, the first quarter moon beckoned, and I shot a 0.003 second shot. No, it isn't POD stuff, but it is significant in that I liked what I saw, and more so when I slipped the camera out, and a Tak LE7.5mm in. Very nice.

Just before the next wave of showers arrived, I slewed to Hadar, (beta Centaurus) and took a look. Nice, no colour and similar fresnel rings inside and out of focus.

I am a happy chappie, but will be more happy if and when the weather clears.

Gary

post-17751-13387763091_thumb.jpg

New toy, so took some risks not long after shooting that twilight first quarter moon.

There looked like a window of opportunity between showers, which I figured would last about 15 minutes max.

I rolled the pier out, and quickly cranked up the PC, such was the timing I didn't even wind the pier feet down, just got them roughly in position.

Slewed to NGC5139, Omega Centaurus, a good bright but decent object to test expose on.

Didn't have the time or inclination to guide, and quickly/roughly focused.

Attached is a stack of 20x30 second shots, GT-81, SXVR-M25C, AT2FF, NEQ6.

As soon as these were done, I rolled the pier back in, and shot the bias, darks, and flats inside, listening to the rain pelt down. Processing was done in Images Plus, basic DDP.

Not the ideal first light, but given the conditions all I could manage.

Gary

post-17751-133877630962_thumb.jpg

New toy, so took some risks not long after shooting that twilight first quarter moon.

There looked like a window of opportunity between showers, which I figured would last about 15 minutes max.

I rolled the pier out, and quickly cranked up the PC, such was the timing I didn't even wind the pier feet down, just got them roughly in position.

Slewed to NGC5139, Omega Centaurus, a good bright but decent object to test expose on.

Didn't have the time or inclination to guide, and quickly/roughly focused.

Attached is a stack of 20x30 second shots, GT-81, SXVR-M25C, AT2FF, NEQ6.

As soon as these were done, I rolled the pier back in, and shot the bias, darks, and flats inside, listening to the rain pelt down. Processing was done in Images Plus, basic DDP.

Not the ideal first light, but given the conditions all I could manage.

Gary

I dont know whether I have scope or target envy .. :)

That is a very nice Omega Centauri you have captured... ;)

Cheers guys. I feel the scope really has potential to be honest. My setup is semi-permenant, where I wheel the whole kit and caboodle in and out, but if you were traveling to dark sites all the time it would be a plus. Given the Televue reducer works with it, it will also almost preclude the likes of a 300mm camera lens too.

Omega looks gorgeous, and is an "easy" target, something that was needed on this real fleeting occasion. It is however very handy from a resolution angle as well, showing stars in the corners as dots or streaks, so I use it all the time. Being directly overhead was an added bonus, LOL.

Gary

Yes, mainly as it was how the mount/scopes were set up at the time. I had the GT-81/TRF2008/M25C sitting next to the ED102CF/AT2FF/H-16, the attempt to have two scopes imaging simultaneously, and at as close to similar focal lengths as possible. The conditions didn't allow any real mucking about, I was happy to just get what I did.

In the fullness of time I intend trying it "native", with the TRF2008, and also with the AT2FF. The realist in me says it will need a flattener, and until W/O release theirs, the AT2FF I already have will have to do.

Gary

You'll love it Peter. O/C is great from the "stars to the corners" aspect, makes the flattener show it's stuff, or not. Like I said, a trial with and without flattener/reducer is in order. If the weather ever comes right, as it has been awful lately, truly awful.

Gary

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We are not sure. We are being extra cautious because our experience of affordable triplets has not always been good. Indeed we made a resolution not to stock them at all but demand for the William Optics GT-81 here on SGL was high so we felt as SGL's sponsor we really ought to offer them. So we ordered a handful in. We checked every one prior to dispatch and they have all been very good indeed but they were part of only a small initial batch of 100 that have almost certainly all sold out. We shall order some of the new batch (it might have a different focuser) when they become available and if they are as good as the first ones we'll stock and endorse them.

We are careful and selective with what we stock, if that means we miss out on whatever is flavour of the month then so-be-it. We take the long-term view and would like to be judged as much for what we don't stock as for what we do.

I'll update this thread with an ETA as soon as we know :)

Might just order an equinox 80 instead, I really regret selling my last one, only thing that lets it down is the focuser. Got any of those in stock?

Also I often wonder why these companies dont supply tube rings with these small fracs, they must know many use them for imaging and the extra £70 for a set of tube rings is quite a lot!

I'll second that policy, but also you can't be sure if the scope is good or not until it gets into some customer's hands to give it a real world 'road test'. A change of focuser sounds intriguing.. I wonder if it will lose the DDG and go back to the older, simpler Crayford style focuser.

Will you be stocking the matching flattener/reducer with the second batch?

Clear skies,

Mike

We have completely sold out of William Optics GT-81 triplet refractors and will not be able to source more, at least for a while.

Ian King (some of us dealers are sociable :)) has two remaining on his shelf so if you are wanting one I would place an order with him asap.

william-optics-gt81-triplet-banner.jpg

Every GT-81 we sold has performed very well indeed. Credit to William Optics for bringing it to the market. I sincerely hope they will be able to produce more.

Steve

Archived