Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Quattro f4 Imaging Newtonian telescopes

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 10-inch Quattro CF OTAs are still scheduled for 1st week in September.

Unfortunately the 8-inch CF tube-rings are being shipped on a separate air shipment, they were not part of the shipment that has just arrived, so we are looking at perhaps another couple of weeks.

Please don't shoot the messenger :rolleyes:

The 10-inch Quattro CF OTAs are still scheduled for 1st week in September.

Unfortunately the 8-inch CF tube-rings are being shipped on a separate air shipment, they were not part of the shipment that has just arrived, so we are looking at perhaps another couple of weeks.

Please don't shoot the messenger :rolleyes:

Ahh, ****** :)

Thanks for the update although I've got to say I'm really unimpressed with OVL/Sky-Watcher - no info on the product, no info on availability or updates or info releases on the issues. And it still remains to be seen if the scope is any good yet...

Clear skies,

Mike

Oh, I'm pretty sure you will be happy Mike, once these wrinkles are ironed out.

When you point an F4 scope at M42 and get a few decent captures to stack, you will forget the teething problems. Much as I love the MN190, I am tingling with anticipation at some F4 imaging!

Oh, I'm pretty sure you will be happy Mike, once these wrinkles are ironed out.

When you point an F4 scope at M42 and get a few decent captures to stack, you will forget the teething problems. Much as I love the MN190, I am tingling with anticipation at some F4 imaging!

That's quite enough of that, TJ. You'll shoot at F5.3 and you'll jolly well like it! :rolleyes::)

I've tried mine for visual and it's pretty damn good. There's no logical reason it shouldn't be, really. But because it's F/4 you're limited to EP's in the low 20's at the longest otherwise the exit pupil is too big, but because it has such a short FL, even a 12mm only gives 67x mag.

I've tried mine for visual and it's pretty damn good. There's no logical reason it shouldn't be, really. But because it's F/4 you're limited to EP's in the low 20's at the longest otherwise the exit pupil is too big, but because it has such a short FL, even a 12mm only gives 67x mag.
My feeling too. Breathed new life into my 17mm Hyperion, before the clouds thickened. Lucky, s/he with an Ethos of that ilk... or a Delos? <G> In the Hyperion's 2" mode, I need an 80mm (FLO) extension, with the GSO. :)

Boy do the first mag stars look bright tho'! Colour-free (obviously) and, even with slightly dodgy collimation, nicely flare-less, at easily snapped-in focus... Especially if your previous FAST scope was a (still) "cheerful" ST102. ;)

I think 8" F4 will serve me well as a VIDEO (Watec) "light bucket" -

A claimed (real-time!) limiting magnitude of 16.2, over ~½ Deg. :rolleyes:

When are these expected, says July at the top of the thread?

Would a 10" Carbon fibre be ok on an EQ5 Pro, or stay with an 8"

steel model?

The steel models are in, just waiting on the 10" CF models.

I wouldn't put a 10" OTA on a HEQ5 pro, but I have used an 8" steel one on my HEQ5 pro without problems, save for a little wind rock on breezy nights.

HTH

Tim

i second that

When I get the next clear 'long' night, the quattro will see it's turn, but im fearing the supplied focuser will be borderline holding the 383, EFW2, Baader MPCC & will it focus, we'll have to wait & see...

I've used mine visually with a Baader Click Zoom III and it's fabulous. I can see Jupiter and four moons in sharp focus and star fields and clusters also look pretty darn good.

I have been attempting to get the thing in collimation (with laser) but the trouble is that the edge of the field is a little out of focus whilst the center of the field is in sharp focus. I suspect that the secondary isn't aligned properly but following various internet tutorials (including Astro Baby's excellent tutorial), I can't get it any better by eye.

On the plus side, the carbon fibre tube is beautiful and very comfortable to hold. It even feels 'warm' at night which will be a bit of a bonus when it comes to packing away.

And rather disappointingly, I'm *still* waiting - four weeks and counting - for its tube rings.

Mike are you using a coma corrector?

Yep (Baader MPCC), and I have the spacing to within +/- 1mm. Might it be off anyway? I don't know.

I do know that if I spin the camera or laser collimator in the focuser, the resulting image goes in and out of focus and the laser dot's return path moves.

This is a tricky scope to collimate.

All the best,

Mike

When I get the next clear 'long' night, the quattro will see it's turn, but im fearing the supplied focuser will be borderline holding the 383, EFW2, Baader MPCC & will it focus, we'll have to wait & see...

I'd be amazed and disappointed that a scope specifically marketed as a imaging tool was shipped with a focuser that was not up to the job of holding without sagging any imaging equipment!

It should be possible to get focus using a Baader MPCC, and a TS 9mm OAG. I use these with a trutek wheel and have enough space on my existing 8" F4.

However!! There is another coma corrector available from Baader, the RCC, which offers a LOT more backfocus (92mm or so) which should allow plenty of kit to be used with it.

I have used it to run some sample images and star tests and I have to say that I was impressed. I will get around to writing a full review and post the results of the star test images properly, but I am very busy at work atm, and ideally want to review it in conjunction with my 10" quattro when it finally lands.

In short though, the RCC (available from FLO, ask Martin/James/Steve) looks to be a very useful and capable solution. I will do a side by side comparison with the MPCC if I get time and also a colour test, as the RCC is a triplet design.

Clear nights Nadeem? What are they? :)

I have used it to run some sample images and star tests and I have to say that I was impressed.

...the RCC (available from FLO, ask Martin/James/Steve) looks to be a very useful and capable solution. I will do a side by side comparison with the MPCC if I get time and also a colour test, as the RCC is a triplet design.

Thank-you Tim, we'll add the Baader RCCI Rowe to our website and order more :):(

Steve

Archived