Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Quattro f4 Imaging Newtonian telescopes

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andy,

Looking at your pictures - the rings are much closer together than mine, it looks alright. The gap on my rings is much larger, almost an inch or so.

I also have a finderscope missing.

I've posted pictures earlier in this thread (Page 11?) if you want to compare :smiley:

All the best and enjoy your scope,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Just looking for a new scope, the 300p never has been right due to a dent in the tube on delivery! so just looking at the Quattro F4 8" or the Altair 8" Imaging Newtonian, wonder if anyone has compared these scopes. was all set to buy the Altair after the problems with the 300p, now undecided, hmmmmm. Plus the 300p is too big for the weather up here, even in the roll off roof or the dome the wind still hits it bad. thenits where to buy from as people think the Scottish Islands is on another planet when it comes to postage, lol. costs no more that the rest of the UK.

Great thread by the way, very interesting.

Any comments would be very welcome before I buy another scope.

John

There is a SW ad for the Quattro on the back cover of this months Sky at Night Magazine and that says:

"All OTA's are supplied without: eyepieces, finderscope, tube rings, dovetail bar and 0.5mm ultra thin secondary mirror supports"

So it seems to me you need to pay more for the finderscope and rings and dovetail bar if you want them, is this right?

No, they are supplied with Tube rings, Dovetails & Finders.

The carbon fibre jobs will be shipping with these sometime in sept, as far as I can gather. But the steel ones do have them supplied.

Nadeem.

! so just looking at the Quattro F4 8" or the Altair 8" Imaging Newtonian, wonder if anyone has compared these scopes.

I have an 8" GSO (same as the AA one pretty much), which is why I am in the market for a quattro :) if that helps you any! The GSO scopes seem to be generally poor performers unfortunately, and without some upgrading they might not cut it for you.

HTH

Tim

Still waiting on an update regarding the proper rings. My Quattro is still on my desk with a fine layer of dust collecting on it! o_O

Hope the rings arrive soon so us CF owners can get first light with the Quattro already :)

Clear skies to all,

Mike

I have an 8" GSO (same as the AA one pretty much), which is why I am in the market for a quattro :hello2:
Dare one ask, what you didn't like about the GSO. :)

To me, Nadeems pics, suggest Quattro construction quality is generally better - More so the Carbon Fiber version? The TS/GSO "Steeltrack" focusser is perhaps better than what I'm seeing on the Quattro? <G> The "optics" will doubtless figure somewhere in the equation... :icon_scratch:

It's a "whole new business" (for me anyway) - the F4 Newt thing? Opinion is valuable - A scope that required no tweaking would be boring. Don't want to (cannot) sell my GSO yet. ;)

Any update on the arrival btw Steve/James? They should be well on the water now if they are coming in Sept.

We should have an ETA for you tomorrow Tim, sorry for the delay.

Hope the rings arrive soon so us CF owners can get first light with the Quattro already :icon_scratch:

The rings are at the airport, they still need to clear customs so we will probably have them here ready to dispatch next week.

HTH :)

Dare one ask, what you didn't like about the GSO. :)

To me, Nadeems pics, suggest Quattro construction quality is generally better - More so the Carbon Fiber version? The TS/GSO "Steeltrack" focusser is perhaps better than what I'm seeing on the Quattro? <G> The "optics" will doubtless figure somewhere in the equation... :icon_scratch:

It's a "whole new business" (for me anyway) - the F4 Newt thing? Opinion is valuable - A scope that required no tweaking would be boring. Don't want to (cannot) sell my GSO yet. :hello2:

Yeah, have to agree - with the addition of a £3 tube of silicon my collimation now seems to hold pretty well (Still needs a wee tweak...). I bought a steeltrack for mine to replace the standard Altair one but that made no difference to the collimation holding, hence the need for the silicon. It will be really interesting to see some first light images from the Quattro - As has been said above, I just dont think collimation at F4 (and less) is ever going to be easy (unfortunatly!)

Thanks Steve for the update.

As mentioned elsewhere in the thread, it's not just the primary mirror holder that is dodgy, the secondary system leaves much to be desired too on my GSO 8". The secondary mirror wobbles in its plastic holder.

Incidentally, I have used the 8" F4 I have to test the Baader Rowe Coma Corrector. Results were impressive at first glance, I have yet to go through the frames properly and post the review which I will do as soon as I find time, but I think one is going to be on the list. Certainly easier to get the spacing right than with the little Multi Purpose Coma Corrector from Baader. The stars looked good, I just need to check how the colour was handled.

Awaiting the news about the 10" CF with bated breath then Steve :)

Cheers

Tim

I'm looking fwd to finding out the weight difference between the 10" CF and Steel versions.

I shouldn't think there will be much in it. The weight of these things is in the glass and the cells.

I am looking forward to reading how the Quattro's perform.... And also wondered how long it would take Synta to jump on the F4 band wagon.

FWIW, my Orion (USA) 8" F4 is fairly easy to collimate, and holds collimation very well. The focuser is very stable and never seems to let the camera droop. I think there must be different levels of QC at GSO, as far as I can see Orion seem to have the best of the GSO's, certainly the best focusers.

Gary

Perfect for the GSO 8" f4 :)
"We'll call you"... And, given past experience, you never know? <G> Maybe (inadvertantly) infesting a sponsor thread with "comparisons" ain't too fair? But, with the present uniformity of price across quite a diverse selection of scopes? And "upgrades" do give some of us interest... a Raison d'être on (frequent) rainy days! :icon_scratch:

I TEASED before - These (exciting) beasts may not qualify as "astrographs", but the price still seems less than the component parts, and allows for the inveterate tinkerer... the aspiring deep-space VIDEO astronomer etc.. :hello2:

Archived