NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Quattro f4 Imaging Newtonian telescopes

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I contacted OVL who confirm that the CF tube rings are currently being manufactured. Yup, it seems that all this time Sky-Watcher didn't actually have any tube rings for the CF models and shipped the steel rings with them all.

That's a crazy oversight.

It's also probably worth noting that the dovetail was a short rather than a long type (as per pictures), too.

I contacted OVL who confirm that the CF tube rings are currently being manufactured. Yup, it seems that all this time Sky-Watcher didn't actually have any tube rings for the CF models and shipped the steel rings with them all.

That's a crazy oversight.

It's also probably worth noting that the dovetail was a short rather than a long type (as per pictures), too.

That's just mind-bogglingly ... mental! ;). Did someone at Synta forget to mention to production that they needed specific tube rings for the CF tubes?

Am I right in saying though that the steel tubes available now have both the correct tube rings and the correct dovetail?

That's just mind-bogglingly ... mental! ;). Did someone at Synta forget to mention to production that they needed specific tube rings for the CF tubes?

It seems that way :rolleyes:. Either that or someone mentioned and thought, "We can get away with this, nobody will know..." :hello2:.

Am I right in saying though that the steel tubes available now have both the correct tube rings and the correct dovetail?

The steel tubes available now have the correct tube rings but I don't think that they have the correct dovetail on the basis that I have a set of steel rings and the dovetail is short - not long as per the product image.

Looking forward to your first light report!

i'm still new to this so i had trouble with the polar alignment last night(ive never used an EQ mount),the street light 10" away doesnt help:(working the next 3 nights so cant try again until tuesday so gonna read up on how to do it all properly

i'm still new to this so i had trouble with the polar alignment last night(ive never used an EQ mount),the street light 10" away doesnt help:(working the next 3 nights so cant try again until tuesday so gonna read up on how to do it all properly

Don't worry but do expect a challenge. If you need help it might be worth posting up a new topic as you may find that you have a lot of questions regarding your mount and telescope over the next few weeks!

@BlackKnight: I'm really pleased for you ;) Did you order a steel one?

I'm kind of envious of all you folks with the steel versions being able to use them. I have the carbon fibre version and I have to wait a month (or going by Sky-Watcher's past history maybe a year at this rate!) before I can use my scope :hello2:

@fatwoul - g'wan, you know you want to :rolleyes:

I've had a 10" CF on order for a while, I guess I was in the 2nd wave of early adopters.

It was nice of Steve to ring up and apologise for the delay. It does look an ideal scope for what I want, although will have to work out how to park horizontally to clear the roof.

I am not actually bothered about the delay as I have only had one clear night last month and none in August here in the northeast. Also my CCD is on long delivery as well.

It will be nice to get set-up ready for the longer nights.

@fatwoul - g'wan, you know you want to :hello2:

You're a bad influence, Michael. ;):rolleyes:

I think I'll keep blasting away with my MN190 for a while before I change my "main" scope. There are a couple of things I need to resolve in my setup and procedure before I take on a more challenging scope (collimation, use of my OAG, etc).

You're a bad influence, Michael. ;):rolleyes:

I'm just returning the favour! These forums are terrible sometimes, aren't they? Just terrible! <g>

I think I'll keep blasting away with my MN190 for a while before I change my "main" scope. There are a couple of things I need to resolve in my setup and procedure before I take on a more challenging scope (collimation, use of my OAG, etc).

The MN190 is lovely and doesn't have some of the drawbacks that the Quattro's will have. However ultimately I'm hoping for a position where in a month or two I'll be able to gobble up the photons fairly consistently, I think I'll be happier with the Quattro than with the MN190.

All the best,

Mike

Archived