Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Quattro f4 Imaging Newtonian telescopes

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ahh, nice trick with the silicon - I'll have to remember that. However a scope like this shouldn't need such modifications, surely?

I'm looking forward to Tim's review of the MPCC and RCC correctors in an F4 scope :)

Correct - the way I see it a scope should come ready to use and if in its out of the box state cannot hold reliable collimation then thats a problem.

Lets hope the Skywatchers dont suffer this same issue but if they do you have a potential fix:)

The 10-inch Skywatcher Quattro f4 Carbon Fibre optical tubes have arrived :)

Martin is currently phoning everyone with a backorder to arrange delivery.

Hey,

Does this mean that the 8" CF tube rings are in?

I updated my ticket - the first update in a month - this afternoon to ask.

Last night I performed another test (despite not being balanced) and I'm finding the brighter stars are oblong, just like my earlier first light image. Tonight I will try a defocused star test to see if the concentric rings are 'nibbled' (by over tight/badly fitting primary mirror clips)...

I've had so many problems since ordering the Quattro CF f/4, what are the odds of finding another design/QA flaw tonight? :(

Confucius say never be a beta tester :)

Ooooooooooo! George you are naughty! But nice :(

Mike I don't want to seem like I'm teaching you to suck eggs but is everything square on the focuser? Any droop that might pull the collimation out? Is it only the brighter stars or is it only more noticeable on the brighter stars?

Matt.

Does this mean that the 8" CF tube rings are in?

No, they are still due sometime over the next few days.

I updated my ticket - the first update in a month - this afternoon to ask.

Be fair Mike, you have asked and I have answered your questions here on SGL. We have kept everybody up-to-date from the outset.

Last night I performed another test (despite not being balanced) and I'm finding the brighter stars are oblong, just like my earlier first light image. Tonight I will try a defocused star test to see if the concentric rings are 'nibbled' (by over tight/badly fitting primary mirror clips)...

Ah, you have been speaking with Nadeem :D He has noticed if you defocus a star you can photograph an image of the primary mirror that shows three concentric abberations where the mirror clips hold the mirror. This is normal for Newtonians that use mirror clips and not considered a problem unless the abberations appear in an image of a focused star (sometimes happens with small aprture mirrors where the mirror clips occupy a larger percentage of the mirror). Some 'solve' this abberation by fitting a ring of black card to cover the outer few millimeters of the mirror edge, covering the clips, but the ultimate fix is to remove the clips and silicone the mirror to it's cell, this is the approach adopted by our Optical Supports mirror cells.

(Some refractors show a very similar abberation when their lens spacers protrude into the light path).

If the mirror clips are gripping the mirror too tightly then the mirror will be 'pinched' and the stars will be an odd shape, usually triangular. This is very easily fixed by slightly loosening the clips. You should have enough space to slip a piece of paper (business card thickness is ideal) between the clip and the mirror.

If Nadeem had tried the same test with any of his previous Newtonians he would almost certainly have found the same but it has shaken his confidence so we have arranged a collection/refund.

I've had so many problems since ordering the Quattro CF f/4

Have you? I am not aware of any problems other than Skywatcher having packed the wrong tube-rings and them not packing finderscopes :)

Mike, you have been a member here on SGL long enough to know we will look after you. If you change your mind about owning an f4 imaging Newtonian we'll collect it and refund your payment without shenanegans :(

Let's keep a sense of perspective.

HTH,

Steve

No, they are still due sometime over the next few days.

Be fair Mike, you have asked and I have answered your questions here on SGL. We have kept everybody up-to-date from the outset.

Ah, you have been speaking with Nadeem :D He has noticed if you defocus a star you can photograph an image of the primary mirror that shows three concentric abberations where the mirror clips hold the mirror. This is normal for Newtonians that use mirror clips and not considered a problem unless the abberations appear in an image of a focused star (sometimes happens with small aprture mirrors where the mirror clips occupy a larger percentage of the mirror). Some 'solve' this abberation by fitting a ring of black card to cover the outer few millimeters of the mirror edge, covering the clips, but the ultimate fix is to remove the clips and silicone the mirror to it's cell, this is the approach adopted by our Optical Supports mirror cells.

(Some refractors show a very similar abberation when their lens spacers protrude into the light path).

If the mirror clips are gripping the mirror too tightly then the mirror will be 'pinched' and the stars will be an odd shape, usually triangular. This is very easily fixed by slightly loosening the clips. You should have enough space to slip a piece of paper (business card thickness is ideal) between the clip and the mirror.

If Nadeem had tried the same test with any of his previous Newtonians he would almost certainly have found the same but it has shaken his confidence so we have arranged a collection/refund.

Have you? I am not aware of any problems other than Skywatcher having packed the wrong tube-rings and them not packing finderscopes :)

Mike, you have been a member here on SGL long enough to know we will look after you. If you change your mind about owning an f4 imaging Newtonian we'll collect it and refund your payment without shenanegans :(

Let's keep a sense of perspective.

HTH,

Steve

Hi Steve,

Yep, you're right. I didn't say that I didn't hear from FLO in a month (merely that neither of us - inc me didn't update the ticket) although I can see how that sentence could have been interpreted that way. I should have been clearer: For the record, yes - FLO has been very good, I can't fault the service from you all at all. Top notch.

OVL/Synta on the other hand...

Ok regarding the rings - had I known of the packing issues or the delays, I'd not have ordered honestly but nobody in the UK knew about this and the blame really needs to sit with Sky-Watcher (I hope that they are SGL members). This critical feedback will only help them refine the scopes and hopefully put a little bit of wind under their wings to start communicating with their users a little more. I live in hope.

As for issues - I'm getting oblong stars (as shown above - although proper first light hasn't been possible without rings). I suspect this might be due to a pinched mirror but who knows? Yes, modifications are possible and I don't mind a tad bit of DIY but I really don't want to be cutting out baffling rings, adding silicon to support the mirror cell and so on to a scope that I was hoping would be good (colimation not withstanding) out of the box.

Still, the carbon fibre is beautiful and very rigid and the focuser is rock solid and the big chips get evenly illuminated :)

As for the scope - maybe I could exchange it for a little store credit? Refunds are nice but you've honestly been really good and maybe I can put the credit as partial payment towards something else :)

I'm sure there will be a lot of happy Quattro owners, but on this occasion, not me - maybe I can swap it for store credit?

All the best,

Mike

Sent from my mobile using TapaTalk (so please excuse bad grammar & spelling!) :-)

I'm getting oblong stars (as shown above - although proper first light hasn't been possible without rings). I suspect this might be due to a pinched mirror but who knows? Yes, modifications are possible and I don't mind a tad bit of DIY but I really don't want to be cutting out baffling rings, adding silicon to support the mirror cell and so on to a scope that I was hoping would be good (colimation not withstanding) out of the box.

You won't need to do any of that. I mention those solutions so the post might be useful to other owners of Newtonian telescopes. It sounds like your mirror might be pinched. Checking and adjusting mirror clips (if necessary) is part of owning a Newtonian and should be included in your first collimation, it is a 5-minute job requiring only a screwdriver.

Still, the carbon fibre is beautiful and very rigid and the focuser is rock solid and the big chips get evenly illuminated :)

Yes, feedback from owners so far has been very positive.
As for the scope - maybe I could exchange it for a little store credit? Refunds are nice but you've honestly been really good and maybe I can put the credit as partial payment towards something else :)
Thank-you :(

Please repack it then let us know which week-day is best. I'll arrange the credit :)

I'm sure there will be a lot of happy Quattro owners...

I shall be one of them :D

I had decided to have Nadeem's when it arrived back but I rather like the idea of a carbon-fibre tube so I'll have yours instead. I fancy using it with the Baader RCCI Rowe TJ is currently testing and an OAG.

All's well that ends well,

Steve

I shall be one of them :)

Steve

Oh Steve, you do tease us with these promises of imaging :(:D

Just checked the weather forecast, no surprise to see that wall to wall cloud is forecast for the week. Still, it will give me a chance to give the 10" CF variant a good going over when it arrives. So far I have become aquainted with an Orion 6" F4 astrograph, the GSO 8" F4 :), an AltairAstro 8" F4 courtesy of a friend :(:crybaby2: and soon to be the 10" quattro. Assuming the same rate of uptake continues I can expect to be using a 20" OTA in roughly 6 years time :D:hello2::)

I fancy using it with the Baader RCC Rowe TJ is currently testing and an OAG.

Steve

The test images are done Steve, I just have to go through them and split them by channel to compare directly with the MPCC. You might need to order another one for yourself if the results are as good as they looked at first glance :) If I get time i'll write up tomorrow along with the pics

Oh Steve, you do tease us with these promises of imaging :(:D

I've been buussssyyy!! <hands on hips>

James and Martin both image but I have been putting it off. With two young sons and FLO I simply haven't had the time. But now both boys are at school and FLO has a distribution centre with staff to run it....

I might surprise you this Kelling :)

Might be interesting to have "test images" of star diffraction patterns, with these Fast Newts. (This may not be possible technically? - It might not sell telescopes either! LOL). On the other hand, I sense many folks (as I once did) compare the results of star tests, with text-books - And "worry". Many of these latter being, simulated, more appropriate to (expensive) refractors, obtained under "ideal conditions" etc. :D

BUT I DO wonder what one can reasonably expect from these £400-500 FAST Newtonians. "Tree rings" or a "Blob"? <G> Not an experienced imaging astronomer here, just an ancient physics *experimentalist* pondering theory versus observation - Expectations... Being prepared to "fix" things sometimes? CAVEAT: Quite good at rendering "customised" scopes un-salable, on the second-hand market, too! :)

I see discussion re. these exciting, slightly "hairy-edge", scopes is beginning to appear elsewhere now... :)

P.S. I wasn't at all surprised that "LHCb" yielded no immediate evidence of "New Physics".

Give it chance? Wanna buy a second hand "customised" (Fast!) Hadron Collider anyone? :(

Mirror testing

Sound advice here involving a simple test on a planet.

One thing to check for is a turned down edge. Check for a bright hard edge outside of focus and a soft hairy edge inside of focus.

Reasonably simple correction is to mask the outer edge of the mirror.

Also, make sure that the glass is properly acclimated to the ambient temperature.

How about this as a starter scope?

Scopes with a slower f ratio are more forgiving, and when starting out will allow you to achieve great results without the fiddlyness of getting things set up so precisely. More time spent at the eyepiece or with a camera in place is important when you consider the precious few clear nights we get. Also, a fast scope typically has a shorter focal length and a fairly wide field of view, so they are perhaps not the best choice for lunar or planetary viewing or imaging, which many newcomers find appealing.

My first proper scope was a C9.25 SCT, and that was a very useful introduction to astronomy for me. It is great for lunar and planetary viewing and imaging, and with a reducer it makes a capable DSO imaging setup too. Collimation is relatively simple with just three knobs to adjust, and looking back, I am glad I listened to the advice given on here and went with it :)

First Light Optics - Celestron C9.25 XLT Optical Tube Assembly

Goes ok on a HEQ5 but an EQ6 would provide better long term flexibility and upgrade options.

Hope that helps.

Tim

Well, I now have a 10 inch CF Quattro, thanks FLO.

Rings and finder included. (sorry to rub it in)

To confirm sizes, it measures 93.5 cm long (with cap on) and 29 cm diameter. It looks huge to my eyes!

Weight 14.5 kg (15 with finder scope)

I intend adding it on to my NEQ6 which has 9.5KG already. That will be 24kg. Any way I will give it a go and see what happens.

My shed is going to feel very small soon.

Yup, mine arrived this morning 07:45.

All looks good as gold :(

I'll post a pic down the tube in a bit, one interesting point, there are six mirror clips, and the tube IS baffled too.

Cant wait to go home from work :)

Archived