SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

An awesome photograph - take a look.

Steve922

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was wondering if the Soyuz Spacecraft docks at the same point, or if they can both dock at the same time?

Steve

Hi Steve, various docking points around the ISS - you can see another Soyuz (Progress? not sure) further up the backbone towards Johannes Kepler (ESA's freighter, docked right at the back - its rocket is also used to give ISS a boost when it needs to gain altitude).

I didn't realise it had space for quite so many ships though - there must be at least 4.

J.

Hi Steve, various docking points around the ISS - you can see another Soyuz (Progress? not sure) further up the backbone towards Johannes Kepler (ESA's freighter, docked right at the back - its rocket is also used to give ISS a boost when it needs to gain altitude).

I didn't realise it had space for quite so many ships though - there must be at least 4.

J.

I think there's a Progress and another Soyuz they keep as a kind of emergency escape vehicle, quite breathtaking really... :)

These images just fill me with wonder. The Shuttle and ISS partnership, and not forgetting the Soyuz role in it all, have been nothing short of a huge triumph for man's engineering skills and inginuity. There's going to be an awful void to fill when the last Shuttle returns to earth. Total reliance on the Soyuz then, although it has performed exceptionally well, so hats off to the Russians.:).

Ron.

These images just fill me with wonder. The Shuttle and ISS partnership, and not forgetting the Soyuz role in it all, have been nothing short of a huge triumph for man's engineering skills and inginuity. There's going to be an awful void to fill when the last Shuttle returns to earth. Total reliance on the Soyuz then, although it has performed exceptionally well, so hats off to the Russians.:).

Ron.

Indeed, the shuttle program has been running for longer than i've been alive. It'l just not be the same without it... I wonder what Sergei Korolev would say if he knew that in 2011 Soyuz rockets would still be at the forefront of space hardware and that they hadn't even been to the moon yet. I reckon he'd be disappointed.

Archived