Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from Worthing

Nova

Hi all, I'm Steve from Worthing on the sunny south coast. Have had a mild interest in astronomy from a young age but it has only really blossomed very recently. Nearly every question I googled and advice I searched for on the net bought me to this site, it really is very good so it only made sense that I should sign up. After umming and arghing for a few weeks over which should be my first scope I opted for the skywatcher explorer 150p on an EQ3-2 mount and so far have not regreted it. I have been enjoying observing the moon and saturn and using my new star charts (the triatlas that I found thanks to this site) I have started to learn to star hop my way around the night sky. Expect plenty of noob questions and requests for advice that I shall post in the appropriate sections

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pl has the longer focal length (1000mm instead of 750mm) i chose the p for 2 reasons

1. need less space to store it

2. the shorter focal length is supposed to be better for DSO. where as the longer fl better for planetery observing.

but from all the reviews ive read there both supposed to be excellent first scopes. it seems it is really just a case of deciding what you want out of your scope. thats not to say that with the pl you wont be able to see deep sky objects. I know with my p I can still get some awesome views of saturn

As its my first scope I cant really compare it to others but from the few top end scopes I have viewed from yeh its pretty dam good :)

hi steve have u done any dso with your scope and what is the quality like of the moon and saturn as i have not ordered mine yet so could change my mind as easy as that if its better .

Hello and welcome. I got the 150pl in feb and have really enjoyed it ,except having to stay up really late at this time of year to get some viewing in. Ho Hum. The pressures of life and all that.

hi steve have u done any dso with your scope and what is the quality like of the moon and saturn as i have not ordered mine yet so could change my mind as easy as that if its better .

I have tried some DSO but sadly I fear the light pollution around me is to much, there must be other on the site with this scope that have used it for DSO. I am planning to go up on to the south downs to try and escape the light as soon as I can with a group. As for the moon and Saturn I am more than happy with the quality. More often than not its the seeing thats to blame for a poorer image but I have had some really good detail of the rings, and the dark bading around the planet at 250x magnification but like I said I dont have too much to use as a comparison

Archived