Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Build begins..part 1, The Pier.

Freff

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Spaceboy. Yes feeling a lot better thank you. The holes for the outrigger uprights have been dug so with luck they should be concreted in next week. :D

I should be able to move the roof to it's full travel then.

Thanks both.

Most of the heavy work has been done.

What is left is all the small jobs. Fitting soffits, fascia and guttering to the roof.

Erect partition inside, door and window. Wiring and all the sockets and lights.

About 4 more coats of paint on the shiplap and that takes care of all the bigger tasks.

• 3 weeks later...

After a long layup, I have managed to get some more work done on the obsy.

The outrigger supports are now concreted in position and and the tracking in place.

The roof rolls out very easily considering it weights >350lbs. A push of about 25lbs gets it moving.

The next job is to clad the apex, put up the fascia, soffit boards and guttering. Give everything a couple of coats of paint, and put the corner trims on. That will be the outside finished.

The internal partition will be the next big job with all the electrics for the lighting etc.

Hopefully, after SGL7 I'll install the mount and scope to see what views I get.

post-19789-133877747962_thumb.jpg

post-19789-13387774797_thumb.jpg

post-19789-133877747976_thumb.jpg

post-19789-133877747983_thumb.jpg

your guys builds are amazing me, the quality of the work seems outstanding... this one looks gorgeous. i hope your proud of what youve achieved so far tony, you should be!

• 4 months later...

Things have been very slow of late, but closing in on a finished obsy.

All the external building is finished apart from a few esthetic touches.

All the timber has been oil base primed and now waiting for the finishing coats of Sadolin (magnolia flavour).

Although the obsy has been in use for several months, I'd like to finish off the interia by skinning the walls in 4mm ply.

I'll post a few images of the interia later,

post-7131-0-48393700-1345037398_thumb.jp

post-7131-0-82489300-1345037441_thumb.jp

post-7131-0-14391600-1345037885_thumb.jp

• 6 months later...

Hi Tony,

Just what I was looking for. I am planning a RoR on top of my family home, on the flat concrete roof and was thinking about how I may construct a pier for starters. I have an HEQ5-PRO, do you think a 6 inch diameter pier should do the trick or should I make that 8 inches? Ofcourse, the obsy floor will be isolated by 1/2 inch all around and 6 inches above house roof level.

Regards,

Sathya

• 2 weeks later...

A big thank you from me for sharing this build with us Tony, my wife is keen for us to have an obsy.

I have contacted a friend of mine today who will make the pier & adaptor.

Feels like I've sunk the spade in the ground now, your build has helped in my planning.

As a fellow back sufferer I know there are times when you have just got to do nothing (& avoid earache from the other half).

Thanks again.

fondofchips

fondofchips thanks for the kind words. Having the support of your wife is half the battle. Mine was very supportive and enjoyed being involved, (she choose the colour :rolleyes: ).

Enjoy the build, take lots of photos and let us know how you are progressing. And...take care of your back.

Archived