Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Build begins..part 1, The Pier.

Freff

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Gina. Don't forget I already had the joists in a couple of weeks ago. The stud work is relatively simple once the levels and squaring is complete.

I will be using 18mm ply for the floor so that will go in fairly quickly. Just hope the weather holds until I get the roof on.

Most of the framing finished today, just a few pieces to put in at the door end. I need to think a bit more tonight about the final measurements regarding the window and door.

I just bought a bog standard fire door & frame from Wickes in the end. To be honest it saved a lot of faff having it all ready to go. Cost around 60 quid but the door is super heavy duty.

Door -needs a good coat of creocote and silcone top & bottom to make it vaugely weathert proof- but very heavy & secure.

Lisburn Ply Veneer Fire Door 1981x762mm - Fire Doors - Interior Doors -Doors & Windows - Wickes

Frame- needs a good wash of creocote for out door use.

Softwood Fire Door Lining - Interior Door Linings & Frames - Door Frames & Fixings -Doors & Windows - Wickes

I just bought a bog standard fire door & frame from Wickes in the end. To be honest it saved a lot of faff having it all ready to go. Cost around 60 quid but the door is super heavy duty.

Door -needs a good coat of creocote and silcone top & bottom to make it vaugely weathert proof- but very heavy & secure.

Lisburn Ply Veneer Fire Door 1981x762mm - Fire Doors - Interior Doors -Doors & Windows - Wickes

Frame- needs a good wash of creocote for out door use.

Softwood Fire Door Lining - Interior Door Linings & Frames - Door Frames & Fixings -Doors & Windows - Wickes

Thanks for the heads up. I have used a fire door in the past for my gun room. It was rated 1 hour and was a beast of a door. Needed a light sabre to cut it. :(

I got a bit more done today but not as much as I like. My back has been giving me jip so had to go slow with the overhead work.

I had hoped to have had the roofing timbers on today ready for boarding tomorrow. I feel that this spell of good weather may come to an end tomorrow and will have to get the tarp over everything.

Anyway, a couple of hours in the morning should see the all the roofing spars in and secured. Once I have laid the OSB and fastened it down I will be able to raise the roof enough to fix the castors without putting any twist on the frame.

post-19789-133877661875_thumb.jpg

Certainly coming on nicely :) Sorry about your back though :p I find you can never get as much done as you'd like!

Thanks Gina. I spent about 2hrs sorting things out before I even lifted a piece of wood.

Ahhh brings back memories ;)

Looking good there Tony... hope your back settles down soon

Thanks Malcolm. I bet you have sneeks at your obsy thread from time to time. :(

I got a bit more done today but not as much as I like. My back has been giving me jip so had to go slow with the overhead work.

Progress looks good- look after your back though mate. If it rains treat is as rest day.

Thanks. I don't mind if it rains on the weekend, those days are for my wife so nothing gets done anyway. It's tomorrow I'm hoping is dry.

It is when it's on an exposed hill with a cold east wind blowing, fingers numb with the cold and teeth chattering making it very difficult to even focus the image. Dew forming on your eyelashes falling into your eyes... then the cramp sets in and you're finished!

I did manage to set my little tracking motor running and leave scope and camera capturing rather poor images while I went indoors and warmed up. I did manage some pics but also realised how much better I could do with certain equipment mods and a much more comfortable environment. OK, so it's my age showing :(

It is when it's on an exposed hill with a cold east wind blowing, fingers numb with the cold and teeth chattering making it very difficult to even focus the image. Dew forming on your eyelashes falling into your eyes... then the cramp sets in and you're finished!

I did manage to set my little tracking motor running and leave scope and camera capturing rather poor images while I went indoors and warmed up. I did manage some pics but also realised how much better I could do with certain equipment mods and a much more comfortable environment. OK, so it's my age showing :(

I'm right there with you Gina. Last winter did get better, I managed to operate most things through the patio doors left slightly ajar.

My wife is very supportive but having to share my discomforts of freezing draughts and howling winds she finally caved and said, "I think you better get that observatory built for both our sakes".

Just as predicted the rain came at 2pm with a vengeance. ;) I managed to get the tarp on just in time. It's 3pm now and the sun is out again, :) never mind it's all secure for the weekend.

I couldn't do much more today anyway, Screwfix are out of 12x3" screws believe it or not; and my ordered castors wont be in until tomorrow.

Sorry about the poor image, I was dodging showers.:(

post-19789-133877662274_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately the weather got the better of me again today, :) although I did manage to get under the tarp and do a bit.

I screwed the castors (16 in total) to both the roof supports, and checked for alignment and levels. All Ok. Next is to get the channel or runner sorted.

I made my first boob though. I forgot to allow for the additional height of the castors which has unfortunately, if left , lowered the pitch of the roof from 12° to 7°. I did not really want the extra 3" in roof height at the apex, bit better there than at the walls.

The roof spars in the image are not fixed or in position. They are just there to keep the tarp from dipping and allowing the water to run off.

post-19789-133877663525_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The sub roof went in today. It is simply 8mm OSB laid on the roof trusses before the steel profile. A sheet of vapour barrier will sandwich the two.

Once they are on I will get a better idea of the final roof sag before I put the lateral spar trusses in and metal angles at the purlins.

When everything has settled I'll screw the track down for the castors.

I have decided to add three SWR tensioners with turnbuckles at 1/3rd intervals across the roof to keep the roof 'tuned' and running square in the tracking.

post-19789-133877668613_thumb.jpg

More done today. This weather is a killer to work in, but it does keep you motivated.:)

I got all vapour barrier up and most of the shiplap tacked down. Unfortunately Screwfix were out of 40mm staples until tomorrow so had to use 38mm brads until then.

I have the unenviable task of knotting all the shiplap tomorrow. I suppose it will be therapeutic if nothing else.:p

post-19789-133877669261_thumb.jpg

post-19789-133877669269_thumb.jpg

Archived