Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Build begins..part 1, The Pier.

Freff

Done a bit more today. I managed to get a window and door in. the local glazier found a piece of 10mm glass and let me have it for £5, result. :)

I also got the handle and lock fitted so the obsy is now secure. I feel happier as all my tools are left in there each day.

I also made a threshold and window sill from some planks of Sapele I had left over from a previous job. I glued two together shaped them for the threshold, and a single one for the sill.

With luck I should get the door stops and architrave on the door tomorrow, and window surrounds on Tues. That's it then untill after the SSP.

post-19789-133877682639_thumb.jpg

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Tony,im a Mechanical Engineer/Machinist by trade and you've done a fantastic job on that pier (im very impressed with the home made CNC Miller!).Well done.

Thanks Mat, much appreciated.

Looking very nice :)

Thanks Gina, slow but getting there.

Gina, think your webcams had a good soaking.
Well, it is in a weather resistant plastic case so probably isn't getting too wet hopefully. The case has a circular polarising filter glued in as an optical window. There is a drain hole at the bottom to let out any water that might leak in. The hood was to add extra protection and try to keep rain off the window if possible.

• 3 weeks later...

After a long wait I have managed to have the roof fitted by my brother. (that's him with the shiny dome :D)

We started early on Saturday 8.00am with the 9mm OSB, cutting it to size and screwing down.

Then the roofing underlay was tacked down. I had a 50m roll of this so I practically doubled up with the large overlap.

This is lovely stuff to use, very light and strong. Totally waterproof with a condensation anti drip on the underside.

All the steel sheeting (.5mm) went on without any drama. It took longer than we anticipated, I was only able to pass tools etc. The steel is too thin for two people.

All that was left for today was the ridge flashing. That was fixed and all finished by 12.30 today. PHEW.

A few sample edge flashings have been placed just to see what they look like. If they are Ok I'll fit the rest later.

I'm pleased with the results, and I'm now watertight.

post-19789-133877692251_thumb.jpg

post-19789-13387769226_thumb.jpg

No problem John.

The roofing underlay has been brought under the OSB on the sides by about 4". On the front the same on the overhang about 6", mainly by accident not design.

The overhang underside will be eventually clad with short pieces of shiplap, with a 7" fascia board on the front. The steel flashing will overhang that about 3". Hope that makes sense.

The steel sheeting is sealed at the edges and the ridge flashing by a rubbery profile (see image) in 1m lengths, and is sandwiched between the steel sheeting and the roofing underlay/OSB.

It very efficiently seals against the ingress of wind, rain, birds bats, furry mammals and bugs. (hopefully :D)

HTH

post-19789-133877692427_thumb.jpg

post-19789-133877692436_thumb.jpg

post-19789-133877692444_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi Malcolm. Unfortunately nothing has been done since Christmas. I have had a relapse with an old back injury and now I'm on light duties only. :)

I don't anticipate doing a lot until the spring. I'm making sure I don't do any more damage before SGL7, I'd hate to miss that for the sake of a few weeks.

Yes, indeed! Hope your back gets better soon Tony :) I have a little idea of what bad backs are like - mine's been aching a bit recently - no more digging for a while and some of the finishing off in my warm room is going to have to wait. I don't think my back can be as bad as yours though.

Archived